Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Electric windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:44 PM

Hi all. Can I draw on the wealth of knowledge. I just bought a 93 M/GM with only 87k. Generally still in vgc, but 3 of the windows don't work. Last owner replaced drives door motor (which works, but doesn't move the window. Looked inside the door and nothing obvious is wrong. I am told this is common on these. The other thing is the transmission (apparantly) causes a feeling like driving on the rumble strip every 10 mins or so. Last just a few seconds. Trans shifts smoothly. Any ides. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM

Hi there!

Congratulations, I own a '92 with about 48K.

Well, I just fixed 2 of my 3 power windows, which do not work. Motor is running, but window is not moving.

Clearly a gear issue. I bought a so called Window Lift Gear Kit at Advance Auto, $31 something incl. tax. Installed it, and windows work just fine. Let me know if you need detailed instructions, it's very easy to do.

I would not call it common, rather that plastic material is wearing out after 15 YEARS!

The transmission issue is called "shuttering", a known issue with these transmissions.

I got mine taken care of by having the trans flushed, fluid changed (ALL INCLUDING TORQUE CONVERTER), and refilled. DO NOT USE MERCONV, but MerconIII, as recommended by Ford.

There is a TSB out there, if you use MerconV, it will affect some seals in these old transmissions, and they start leaking.

BTW: Had my tranny done at Ford Dealership, $175. Not bad, considering it's done right, and if not, warranty.

Let me know the outcome.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks 92 Mercury. That was just what I needed

Cheers

Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 AM

i could use those detailed instructions....

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM

When I do my rear ones, I will take live pictures.

Here is a picture of the Windows Gear Kit to show you what the cause could be. You can get this kiteither at the auto parts store or online:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/EDF_4bdd_1_b.jpg[/img]

This is the main gear which goes into the gear housing attached to the power window motor, and the 3 bushings, which go in the 3 cutouts in the gear, and between the steel gear which is not pictured here.

When I took mine apart, the bushings were missing, and there was lots of debris inside the housing, which must have come from those bushings disintegrating.

Note:When it comes to repair manuals, I recommend going to AutoZone's web page. You can view/print the repair manual, mostly with pictures. This is a good indication/help and gives you and idea what to expect/to look out for.

Okay, here's the quickie for the front doors. The window has to be up, otherwise pull it up and have it secured (i.e. with tape).

1. Remove the door panel

2. Remove the weather seal. I just removed mine at the bottom and taped it to the glass.

3. Unplug power window motor. It's the Grey plug all the way up front. Half of the plug is mounted to the door, the other half (attached to the motor wiring) will come loose, push it through the opening into the door, as you will pull it out with the motor.

4. Remove 3 gold colored torx screw right in the middle of the door. These hold the motor. Note: These screws go through the motor mounts and actually screw into the gear housing attached to the regulator. I would loosen all 3 screws before taking them out. On mine, the motor was stuck with the gear on the regulator, so there was no need to hold it in place.

5. Reach inside the door, through the square opening in the rear, and pull the motor away from the gear housing on the regulator.

6. Open the gear housing attached to the motor (1 torx screw). Inside, you will see the gear pictured above, and the big metal gear which goes in it. Pull out the metal gear, remove the plastic gear and whatever debris you might find in there.

What I did (once I cleaned it), I plugged the motor in and moved the window switch, to make sure the motor spins smooth and freely, which it did.

7. Assembly the gear. Important: you have to lube the gear, as plastic and metal do not go too well with each other. My gear kit from the local autoparts store (AdvanceAuto) hat a little plastic bag with grease in it. Cut off one corner and apply some to the teeth of the gear, and on its bottom. Then put the gear into the housing. Apply the rest of the grease on top of the gear around the outer housing (where the teeth are). Do not put grease in the middle of the gear, as there are no moving parts). Now, put the 3 bushings into place (as pictured above), then put the metal gear into the housing. You will note that the metal gear is also triangle shaped, and the 3 rounded sides are spaceholders for the bushing you just placed into the plastic gear. Then, put the gear housing cover back on.

8. Reassembling: I pushed the motor back into place and the gear housing from the regulator on it. Before I tightened the screws, I was holding the motor in place, plugged it in and gave it a try. Yes, the window was going up and down just fine. So tighten the torx screws to hold the motor in place. If you tried it as I did, youalready ran the wiring through its opening and plugged it in.

Finally, install the door panel, and enjoy fresh air and whatever drive thru might come along.

I will see to get nice and detailed instructions written up, with live pictures. This in an issue which many of us will have to address at some point in time.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Frigging Sweet!!!! I am going to give this a try A.S.A.P.!!

No chance you know what the problem with my Heater/AC. Plenty of air just not Hot or Cold.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

biggest problem with the windows are the plastic bushings. figure they are made of plastic and just wear out over time. biggest way to know thay are about shot is when operating the windows and they are jumpy going up are down like they are catching. cant expect plastic to last forever, figure they are as old as the car from when it was made.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Not looking foreward to doing this one either.
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM

hahaah my trans is starting to flare and shift rough, but my 92 has 207 xxx ks on it, time for a new tranny hah.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM

</>
Well, the problem is not the plastic bushings. I still have the original one's in in my other one, so they do last. Work just fine, even after 15 years.

Main wear is when large amount of force is put onto the mechanism, like trying to open the windows when frozen, etc. Or staying on the button for ever, even though the window is already closed.

Guess this might be while there are no replacement gears out made out of other material. At least, I don't know of any.

Anyhow, if you do the work, make sure you clean and lubricate all moving parts. It would be a shame to take everything apart, and then it fails due to a single miss.

Greetings!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Quick Reply: Electric windows