Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

check air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM

my check air suspension light came on for a day or two. now the rear driver side of the car is sagging.

any ideas on what's wrong?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Sounds like you air spring is leaking, or the solenoid is bad.Have you tried pressing the button in the trunk to turn off the air suspension, to see if and what it does? Check the following:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Air_Spring_Solenoid.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Air_Spring_Removal.gif[/img]Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 AM

ill have to do what the pictures say when i get off work some time.

well now the whole rear of my car is sagging. and also, when i turn the key on i can hear the compressor kicking on and lifting the back, now it doesn't come on.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Well, if the compressor came on so far, then a leak is the cause for the sagging. The leak could be in a line, or in a shock, which of course is more expensive.

Now that the compressor does not come on anymore, that might just be a fuse or possible protection, like the a/c compressor which doesn't come on if the system is empty.

I would check the lines first. And, since it is a very special system by itself, you might want to check with the dealership how much they charge to have it checked. You can then always fix it yourself, but know for sure what to fix in the first place.

Also, in case you're not aware of it already: There is a conversion kit out there, to get rid of the air suspension system, with regular springs.

Greetings!

Old 08-04-2007, 06:01 PM

on top of that i had a flat tire. had to jack the car WAY up to get my rims off.... now the wheel well is over the rim, so it's saggin a lot.

can i drive it like that? i drove it down the street and it was bumpin up and down. is it safe and what not? if not, how do i get it to a shop?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 AM

Awe, I know what you mean. Looks like everything is coming together right now.

Don't give up! Might just be a challenge, for which you might be rewarded. At least that's how I'm trying to motivate myself.......

Well, as long as there is no or just little contact between the wheel well and the tire, or no contact to the rim, you should be safe to drive, slowly of course. I drove one like this about 10 miles to a dealer. I took it slow and had my flashers on, no problems. The tire was scratching on the wheel well, since it had rust and needed to be fixed anyway, we just bend the inner part out of the way.

Good luck!