Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

HELP WITH ENGINE CLACKING NOISE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM

I have a 1994 Grand Marquis with 130,000 miles on it. When i first got it ran great. I got my first oil and filter change on it and took it on the road to Louisiana 5hr drive, no problems but when i got back to Dallas it started smoking, burning oil, and making this clacking noise in the engine. I just kept adding oil and it would stop making the noise for a little while but after a couple of days it would start again. I only hear the noise when the car is in drive and the first part of acceleration and it smokes when the car is in drive and i am setting in one spot for little while and when i drive off it leaves a big smoke cloud. I have had people tell me that it is my fly wheel, or it could be low octane gas but i started putting premium and it still does the same thing. Can someone please help me with this????

Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 AM

See:

--->New Member Area
---->Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Well, you are burning oil from what you posted. Has nothing to do with the flywheel or low octane gas, so forget all about that.

Somehow engine oil is going past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. It could be the valve seals, cylinder head gasket or piston rings.

Worse thing to do is of course to keep driving. Do not complain if you try to fix it afterward and can't, because it is too late.

Your post is not clear. Does it burn oil (blue smoke) all the time or just when you are sitting for a moment and then accelerating?

The clacking noise clearly indicates that moving parts are without oil. Since it only appears when accelerating, sounds very much like the crankshaft. If that goes, your engine is gone, the repair is going to cost you a fortune.

Here's the good part of it: Since the noise goes away when oil is refilled, there could be a chance of minimal damage. And if the car only blows smoke when sitting for a while and then accelerating, that sounds like the valve shaft seals. Way less work and expenses to fix than a head gasket.

In addition, it could be that your oil sump screen (that filters the oil when coming out of the pan) is clogged. That would explain while the noise goes away when accelerating, cause the pump delivers more oil. And the oil is always forwarded from bottom to top.

Best thing is to go to a shop. They can, using a special tool, look into your spark plug openings and inspect the valve seals. So you will know if they are the cause. It eliminates one of the three most likely issues.

Unusual is, from what you posted, the supposedly large amount of oil you have to refill. Is the car loosing oil somewhere else? Leaking? I would get that inspected at the same time.

Once that is done and you have the results, you can proceed with maybe other options (clean oil screen, thicker oil, re-conditioner, etc. etc.)

Greetings.Edited by: 92Mercury