Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1994 Grand Marquis Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 AM

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]I got my car at the end of December everything was going great. I got my first oil and filter change in May. I then took the car on a trip out to Louisiana which is about 600miles. While i was out there it rain so much it flooded a lot, so i had to drive through flood waters out there, the water was up to my door at least maybe more. I drove the car back to Dallas and after about a week my car started burning oil and i started hearing a clacking noise under the hood. Everytime I would hear the noise i would just add oil and the noise would go away but it would burn out again.

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]Now it is the around the end of August (3-4months of this) and my car is still doing the same thing but it is worse. Now if i am sitting at a light or just sitting with the car in drive for a little while and decide to drive off it will leave be hind a lot of smoke at times i see the smoke a white and at other times i have seen light blue. Yesterday my car got hotter than it normally does and that was the first time that it has ever done that.

I have people telling me that it is my flywheel, and a spark knock and for me to try and use a higher octane gas but that didn't work. Can someone please help me with this.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;">Thank you </span>92Mercury for helping me with the last post</span>

Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 AM

You're more then welcome.

Okay, let's see. Driving thru water, especially when it's up to the doors, is just not a good idea. But we have to deal with it now.

I don't really see a close connection between driving thru water and then burning oil, unless you accumulated a lot of water in your oil pan. Sure, you don't loose oil, but oil is thicker than water, and water find it's way, no matter what.

Now, if you have water in your oil, the water will go by the piston rings, get into the combustion chamber and eventually been exhausted, that would be an indication for the white smoke.

I would assume, and that's all we can do right now from here, that maybe some oil, mixed with water, is getting exhausted as well. Water can not be compressed, so if it finds it way by the piston rings, oil will eventually escape as well.

First thing I would do is getting an oil change, with filter. Do not use oil with a low viscosity, as itmeans that it is thinner when cold. Itmight help lubricate when the engine is cold, but eventually still pass the piston rings. Get at least 10W50 as recommended, better 20W50.

See that you can get a flush first. According to the manual, the oil pan can only be removed if the engine is lifted. Some people say they accomplished it without this task, but still, it involves some investment. It is cheaper for right now to get a flush, fresh oil (and filter of course).

Then drive the car and see what's happening. There might be still some water remaining in the pan, but you will eventually "burn" it.

That your car is getting hotter than normal, well, thats because you are "burning" water. Make sure you have enough coolant. Check and see if you have oil in it. Easy to see, it looks like you have fat cells swimming on top of the reservoir.

On of gasolines tasks inside an engine is to cool it as well. So if you burn water, you burn less fuel, and water takes heat better than fuel. That would be an indication for the higher temperature.

Try the oil change. From what you posted, it really seems to be an issue with water in the oil. With a flush, you should stay well below $50.

As long as you have light smoke, you might be lucky. But if it is a lot of smoke, all the time, well, that is serious. But even for that, there are things you can try which don't cost a lot.

Also, you said you have a clacking noise, but it goes away when you add oil. Is your oil level then low? Oil is being forwarded from the bottom to top. If the clacking noise is comming from below, well, that means that your crankshaft is not being lubricated sufficient. If it is at the top, if would be the lifters.

Keep us posted with the outcome. Oh, and while having the car on a lift (for the oil change): If you can't do it, have the mechanic spray some WD40 or similar on all electric connectors underneath. WD40 not only lubricates, but also helps with moisture. It's a preventive task, your electric connectors will eventually corrode or rust, because of you trying to submerge the MGM. It's excellent on the road, but sucks below sea level.

Greeting!Edited by: 92Mercury