Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Dual Exhaust Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 AM

Now, I'm in the process of putting on a dual exhaust on my MGM.

Since Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are all (sort of) the same, it should be clarified first that the dual exhaust from a Ford Crown Victoriaof the same year will fit on a Grand Marquis of the same year (but not compatible with i. e. a Lincoln Towncar).

Thus you can buy the OEM parts from your (sometimes) friendly Ford Dealer (they DO need the money they are asking for), there are much cheaper options.

Either invest the effort of cutting one off from a totaled car, or buy a new set (aftermarket, around $200 incl. shipping).

[img]uploads/92Mercury/624971.jpg[/img]

As seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-94-Ford-Crown-Victoria-Dua l-Muffler-Exhaust-System_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQi hZ009QQitemZ190033720793QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

This is how the factory dual exhaust looks like:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/ford9297dual-vi.jpg[/img]

[img]uploads/92Mercury/arvin9294single.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/92Mercury/arvin9294dual.gif[/img]

As you can see, you are basically replacing everything after the catalytic converters.

This will release the around 20 horsepower as if you had ordered if from the factory.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 11-11-2007, 06:05 AM

This sounds interesting 92. What performance increase do you expect?
< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

Old 11-11-2007, 11:14 AM

I don't expect any "Performance". I have done similar changes before, were i.e. exhausts or air intakes were restricted and the engines in their output limited.

Very often you see a slight increase in your gas mileages.

The conditions here (speed limit, road conditions etc.) don't allow nor make it necessary to have any serious performance.

Only reason I'm doing this is because my exhaust will need to be replaced, and so far, with this dual conversion, I'm running about $20 more vs. fixing mine.

I could probably find cheaper alternatives on i.e. eBay, but I like the "adjusted" calculation "expensive vs. cheap" which totals in dual exhaust. LOL

Greetings!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 PM

which ones did you go with? Aftermarket or stock? I like the chrome tips on the 03/04 Marauders out the back - plus the note is soo sweet

If you have switched to dual exhaust do you get better perfromance? I know the single seems really constricted for airflow- thats one thing I wanna look into a bit later on too.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM

I will certainly go with the aftermarket ones.

Look at the price. I get a complete set for $165.

Tip: When you get it, get some silver high temperature paint. Wash down the pipes with brake cleaner and then paint it. I did that on my Explorer. Now, 2 years later, besides the rust on the joints (from inside out, that's how exhausts rust, because of the aggressive fumes), the exhaust is still shiny, it looks like new.

I like the straight out pipes as well. I figured, getting this exhaust and then have aftermarket tips welded on them (before you put it on) will do the same trick.

Performance? I can't complain, wont do it just for that. However, you will release about 20 hp, that's the factory "limitation" compared to the single exhaust.

As posted before, I have seen a slight increase in mpg.

In addition, if you buy the parts individually, you could get Flowmaster mufflers in order to get the deep tone. Or open up the mufflers which come with the set, and get rid of some of the wool inside.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 11-19-2007, 11:43 AM

thats an excellent price. found a couple marauders on youtube with the flowmasters that had a sweet sound to them... I like that note flowmasters have gives it a better tone I think.

also i've been kinda looking into the black grille and tinted headlights for the marauder to go on my marquis. i thought the appearance would make it a bit sportier haha... found some on ebay at decent prices to. can get headlights, sidemarkers, etc very reasonable.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:57 AM

There's another post about the Marauder headlights out there. Discussion was whether they fit on the regular model or not.

Greetings!