Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Why do "experts" say MGM dated/ inferior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM

Consumer Reports and others say Grand Marquis dated and not competitive. Well, if a comfortable, quite riding, and attractive looking sedan with a big truck is obsolete, then bring it on! Shame on GM and Chrysler for abandoning the market, with no big rearwheel drives with front bench seat. The new Cadillacs are NOT as nice as what your grandfather drove. What happened to the Buick Rivieras, Pontiac Bonnevilles, Chevrolet Caprice Classics, Lincoln Continental Mark VII, etc.? After Grand Marquis and Towncars are stopped, there will be no cars like them. Doesn't anyone want them anymore like I do? I'm not even an old geezer!

Old 11-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Like all cars they have their pros and cons. I'd like a refreshing of the interior and exterior of the car, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Since the Grand Marquis, the Town Car and the Crown vic go out to so many fleet sales (taxi/police/rental) these are basically ford's bread and butter line.

I have heard that GM is going to shelve the Cadillac DTS, so if that happens I'm sure Ford will be watching closely as to perhaps grab a few more customers the way it did in the 90s when GM dropped its RWD B/D platform for all FWD.

I like my big car, though with gas at $3.00/gallon and may go higher, that takes it toll on sales. Still gotta love the nice ride you get on trips, etc. Too big, yea they are - cheap to fix - heck yea - easy!! parts are readily available and anyone can work on 'em...modular V8..

It works for me, far from a geezer - just wasn't impressed with General Motors offerings and frankly wasn't if i could, gonna plunk down 30 grand for a mid-size car that had limited room, hard seats and 3-5 mpg better at the most... I'll take the Grand marquis just wish I had the 300 hp marauder V8 in it instead of the 224 hahah [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2021, 06:11 AM
Default Ten Years After

The question was asked thirteen (13) years ago, and the responses also came from many years ago.
There are no "experts" writing about Mercurys being "dated" or "inferior" these days, as the Grand Marquis has been out of production for ten (10) years.
The only real "experts" on the Grand Marquis are the OWNERS who have lived with their cars for years, or the many NEW owners of USED Grand Marquis, who have discovered the great features and the driving pleasures of Grand Marquis ownership.
Yes, the Grand Marquis is quite "dated", as they don't make 'em no more, but it is by no means 'inferior" as can be witnessed by the many owners who have commented very favorably on their Mercurys here at the Mercury Forums.
In my case, The 95 MERC has been an exceptional automobile for the 15 years that it has cruised the highways of many of our great states, providing safe and comfortable coast-to-coast motor trips, as well as the long-distance, high-speed touring of the deserts and mountains of the American Southwest.
Lots of research, parts chasing, and elbow grease went into the restoration/modification of The 95 MERC -- which has served us very well, and still performs as good as new, and even better in some respects, such as handling, stopping, and power.
Maybe those "experts" know a lot more than me about what is "dated", but they sure don't know Jack Schitt about what is COMFORTABLE, AFFORDABLE, and RELIABLE, which is exactly what I want in an automobile.
At 170,000 miles, The 95 MERC has served us well, and is still rolling strong, fast, and easy.

Classic Style -- Relaxed Comfort -- Modern Performance.

Classic Style "Italian Lace" Wheels. Goodyear ComforTread Touring Tires.

Like No Other

Last edited by 95 MERC; 07-07-2021 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Content