Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

1992 MGM Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 PM

I have the keyless entry module in the truck and i checked my door panel and the wiring is there. Now im not a fan of cutting a hole in my door, so does anyone know any cheaper ways of using that module or am i just outta luck and full of tears. LOL

-cheers

Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 PM

to my knowledge, the only way to get the module attached is to cut the proverbial hole in the driver's door. I agree with you I'm not much on cutting sheet metal for those cars, and you have to be programmed to the car itself before it works.

On 98+ models I know you have to connect the service dept's laptop up, plug in the VIN and let it "find" the door/key code same way it programs your keyless door fobs.

If the car wasn't originally equipped with keyless door pad, not sure even if it were connected that the computer could find it. May be a dealer question - unless someone else out there is more familiar with connecting these after the fact.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 AM

Actually, there's no need to cut any hole into your door.

Just to clarify (you didn't state exactly what you have and what you don't), it seems you don't even have the keypad on the door?

I already answered your comment about that in another post, use the search function and you will see.

Well, the keypad on the door functions the same way as the remote transmitter which is found on newer models. I personally like them better, you can lock and unlock your vehicle with the push of a button, instead of punching in 5 numbers. Believe me, when it's raining, it makes a difference.

So what you can do it get the module for the remote transmitter. You don't even have to get the original one, any aftermarket will do.

And if yougo with i.e. Bulldog (http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/), you can not only add alarm, remote start or other functions, they even have a prewired harness which plugs into your original harness.

So it's kind of plug and play. JC Whitney (www.jcwhitney.com) has several options.

The harness, i.e. from Bulldog for all MGM's '90 to '03 (are all the same) is called FD-1 and looks like this:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/FD-1.JPG[/img]

Greetings!