Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Looking for Advice on Buying MGM

Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 AM

Hey everybody. I'll be in the market soon to purchase another car and the
MGM was one of the top ones on my list. I always used to enjoy driving
my dad's (1995 model). I was looking around on autotrader.com for
some used ones in my price range and found a couple of nice ones.

I've spent the past week or so researching different things about them
and getting all the numbers, but I figured I'd ask some owners how they
liked their MGM's.

Obviously the car is a gas guzzler, but from some of the automotive
reviews I've read they are better than some V6's; I'm assuming that's if
you don't have a heavy foot though. Other than that, I just was
wondering overall how they are after owning them for a while, what some
tips are for them as far as upkeep and possible upgrades, and what
things I should look for when in the market to buy one of these battle
sleds. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 AM

Welcome!

I recommend using the search function. Not only will you find some answers to your questions there, but also at least one post where to get a 2007 model for little money.

A gas guzzler? Not at all, this is yet another "myth", just by looking at the government rating (which is always worse than actual), you are looking at at least 15 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. Many report getting 27 and above on the highway.

If you can spare the time, you can go to Florida and get one there, with no rust, low mileage, adult driven.

Any particular year you are looking for? What's the price range you are looking for? Cash or financing?

Greetings!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:57 AM

Hey...I was looking for something '98 or newer. I was looking for something under $10,000 and it will have to be financed.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:29 PM

plenty of 98 and newer under 10,000. Should be able to find up to around an 03 for that price even.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM

BTW Welcome man!! Glad to have another "soon to be" Grand Marquis owner on the site [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

As for mileage man, i could get a lot better just have a heavy foot for takeoffs. but whatever you drive today, even V6s only get about 5 or 6 mpg better. Still you're looking at a $40-$50 fillup on mid-size cars - about the same as the MGM so nota lot of dfference.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Yeah...I just went a test drove a gold '03 a couple hours ago...what a nice car. I hope to get rid of my truck real soon so I can go buy that sucker.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 PM

So the price musta been in your range then. Glad to hear it. I got my 04 well worth the money i thought.

This dealer i bought from has several used ones. He had like 4 or 5 07s on his lot even. Mine was the only 04, he had a couple other 03's but think they sold really quick.

Good luck, let us know how it goes [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 AM

Yeah...it was around 13 something but I think I could have talked them down a little bit. I might find something else by the time I sell my truck anyway, but at least I got to drive the thing...it made my day :-P

Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM

Oh I forgot to add...I don't know if this makes any difference or not but it was the LS premium package...this is the auto trader link on the exact car I test drove today at the Yota dealership.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...33823212&d ealer_id=595296&car_year=2003&model=MERCGR AND&nu m_records=&systime=1195972780659&make2=&am p;start_ye ar=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engi ne=&ce rtified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false& amp;search _type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=fals e&sear ch_lang=en&make=MERC&color=&page_locat ion=findac ar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&am p;default_ sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&a mp;sort_ty pe=priceDESC&address=29406&advanced=&e nd_year=20 03&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&amp ;cardist=1 &superSpotlight=

::edit:: sorry the URL is so long [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Edited by: thrash_fiend

Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 AM

If you can finance the car externally, there's another option.

The dealership which offers the '07 for around 17k, well, they now offer the LS for $13,995. A bit above your limit, but if you pay cash, you never know.

Looking at your other posts, you might want to get a cheaper one, looks like you are going to need you money on other stuff.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Advice on Buying MGM