Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Dual Exhaust on a 2006 Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 AM

I just purchased a 2006 Grand Marquis. It is loaded with just about everything but dual exhaust and foglights. I had read a thread on here about putting duals on an older Marquis. My question is can you put duals on the 2006 without messing the computer up?

The other thread said that in the past Marquis's came equipped with dual cats and then they were ran into one pipe for the single exhaust cars. I don't know if that is still true on the 2006. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

I just recently had dual exhaust installed on my 2006 Grand Marquis. Although I've only had it installed for about a tank-and-a-half, it seems to be running well. The computer seems fine with it so far.

Yes, the factory exhaust is still configured the same. Exhaust manifolds, cats, theninto a Y pipe, one large muffler in the midsection of the car, and then tailpipe the rest of the way, up over the axle.

They removed the Y pipe, and came off the cats with 2 1/4" pipe. They installed flowmaster mufflers, and then went with 2" pipe the rest of the way, and welded two low-key chrome tips that fit into the bumper cutouts, and look absolutely stock. It sounds great, and looks very nice as well. (He went with 2" pipe after the mufflers because he said the 2 1/4" is a real pain to bend it correctly over the rear axle.) I wasn't looking for any super performance gain, I just wanted it to sound a little bit beefy. (Although I notice that the traction control seems to kick in a little easier now.)

I'm in Oklahoma, and it cost me $375 + tax to have that done at a local muffler shop.

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Awesome! I was hoping someone would reply. I climbed under the car and saw the configuration you were talking about. I wonder what size the pipe is on a car equipped with factory dual exhaust, they pick up 15 horsepower. Thanks

Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Lab Rat, did you keep your factory cats? Did you go with two chamber or three chamber Flowmasters? I'm asking because dual exhaust is probably the first performance mod I'm going with.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Yes, I kept the factory cats. Everyone around here seems pretty serious about not messing with those. The mufflers I put on were part #42441, apparently two-chamber.

40 Series Performance Street & Strip
4'' x 9-3/4'' Case
In-Out: 2-1/4''
Body: 13''
Chambers: 2

Like I said, I was mainly wanting to beef up the sound. If he would've asked me, though, I would've preferred 2 1/4" all the way back. But he didn't tell me about that until he was done. (He said it took him 5 hours to do the 2 1/4" tailpipes on the other one he did.)

Rich

Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM

Oh yeah, I also figured out how to keep from having all that extra "code" in your posts.

Go to "settings" up at the top of the page,
Select "forum preference" (or something like that),
And select "no" for "Enable the WYSIWYG post editor"

That should do it. (I got lucky and stumbled across that.)

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you consider your system excessively loud or just right? I'd really like to go with the two chamber Flowmasters because they really do let the car breathe better (and sound meaner), but I live in a tight residential neighborhood and have to worry about waking up the neighbor's kids. I guess it makes no sense to get rid of the stock cats when they've only got 37K on them.

Thanks for the forum tip, too. I was wondering why the hell that code was showing up.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:05 PM

You know, it's a 'little' bit louder than what I was wanting, but it's really not excessively loud. I was wanting to hear the V8 better, but not have my wife notice the difference (because she doesn't understand why anybody would spend money on something like that). However, it is loud enough to know that it's no longer factory, and in fact, my grandma even noticed.

That being said, I leave for work at 5am, and I've got no worries about waking anybody up. Everybody that's heard it thinks it sounds really nice. I haven't noticed any droning at highway speeds, either... just a nice rumble.

Rich

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Hey guys, I took a crappy little video and posted it up on youtube. It's dark and gray today, so you can't really see the tips, plus I missed the right side tip anyway. There's several other MGM exhaust videos on there as well, that will give you several different options and styles. Some are somewhat questionable.
[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu38zQHUjn8

Old 09-08-2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2004GS
Thanks for the info. Do you consider your system excessively loud or just right? I'd really like to go with the two chamber Flowmasters because they really do let the car breathe better (and sound meaner), but I live in a tight residential neighborhood and have to worry about waking up the neighbor's kids. I guess it makes no sense to get rid of the stock cats when they've only got 37K on them.

Thanks for the forum tip, too. I was wondering why the hell that code was showing up.
. I changed my 04 Grand Marquis with a borla cat back system and it runs and sounds great. The cost was up there about $1000.00 bucks but it is Stainless steel with lifetime warranty.
still have this car today. Did the change some years ago but still runs strong with 70,000 miles on her .

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust on a 2006 Grand Marquis