Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Difficulty Starting Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 AM

In the past couple of weeks,I have noticed my 1996 Grand Marquis will occasionally die when I first start it. I can restart it & it runs fine. Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by lugnut
In the past couple of weeks,I have noticed my 1996 Grand Marquis will occasionally die when I first start it. I can restart it & it runs fine. Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this?

if that happenswhen it is cold, thenmy car has exactly the same prob......i have no idea why.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM

i have a 2000 thats just started doing the same thing,i hope you find the problem,when you try to start mine it acts like its not getting enough gas to keep it going,and trys to run real slow and dies,after 3 or more tries it will go slow at first then faster till ok,,then its fine for the day??

Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Onepossible cause:

There is a little sensor (bright orange) in the air intake, in the hose that runs of the air filter cover to the intake. It is part of the control for the air/fuel mixture.

When shops "jerk" the cover around in order to check the air filter, the sensor very often gets broken. It is a little round sensor, looks like a penny, bright orange, and is mounted only with 2 little legs which easily brake.

I had a similar issue and found one of these legs broken. I soldered it back on, and my identical problems when the car was cold were gone.

Also, and I haven't figured this one out yet,the car is either hard to start or dies right away, which seems to be persistent in especially these hot days. It happens on my '92, and my buddies '00. Now, if we turn off the air (compressor), the issue is gone.

The air compressor is activated via a electric clutch, which seems to engage for a moment as soon as the ignition is turned on. So it puts some force on the engine when started and seems to make it harder for it to start right away.

Sounds strange, uncommon, but with the a/c off, it's gone. Might want to give it a try and see.

Besides all these little gizmo's, even on a '00 model, after 7 years of service change of the fuel filter and a tune up might sometimes do miracles.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM

My car did that and all i did was change the plugs.. problem solved!< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 PM

I

Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM

I had the same exact problem during starting. The dealer replaced the Idle air control valve and the problem was resolved.My car is a 2000 MGM. Tony.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by smartyss17

Originally Posted by lugnut

if that happens when it is cold, then my car has exactly the same prob......i have no idea why.
That's the IAC Sensor on the intake, sounds like it's got some gunk in it or something, that's not allowing it to function properly when it's cold out. Once it's running for a bit, it'll stay running.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 92Mercury

One possible cause:

There is a little sensor (bright orange) in the air intake, in the hose that runs of the air filter cover to the intake. It is part of the control for the air/fuel mixture.

When shops "jerk" the cover around in order to check the air filter, the sensor very often gets broken. It is a little round sensor, looks like a penny, bright orange, and is mounted only with 2 little legs which easily brake.

I had a similar issue and found one of these legs broken. I soldered it back on, and my identical problems when the car was cold were gone.

Also, and I haven't figured this one out yet, the car is either hard to start or dies right away, which seems to be persistent in especially these hot days. It happens on my '92, and my buddies '00. Now, if we turn off the air (compressor), the issue is gone.

The air compressor is activated via a electric clutch, which seems to engage for a moment as soon as the ignition is turned on. So it puts some force on the engine when started and seems to make it harder for it to start right away.

Sounds strange, uncommon, but with the a/c off, it's gone. Might want to give it a try and see.

Besides all these little gizmo's, even on a '00 model, after 7 years of service change of the fuel filter and a tune up might sometimes do miracles.

Greetings!
You shouldn't start a car with the A/C on anyway, it takes alot of force to get that clutch to spin.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Hey lugnut, you just need to clean the IAC motor. That should do it. If you are feeling generous and she is in need, give her a full blown tune-up and make her happy! Don't forget the fuel filter!!! Let me know, it has been a couple months since you posted the prob.