Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

wet driver side floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:04 AM

anyone with wet driver side floor? I think I may have answer. And so easy to check. Let me know and I'll type it out. It solved my problem

Old 01-06-2007, 04:16 AM

ok heres what to check...remember this is for a wet drivers side floor front and rear. on the driver side cowl under the plastic cowl vent there is a bolt sticking down. water collects around this bolt and leaks through dripping down the bolt. Now look at that bolt the water will drip off directly onto the hood release cable where it goes through firewall. If the rubber grommet is bad the water follows the cable into the car. It tends to pool up in the back seat floor. watch it drip its amazing how much water gets in. Mine was a steady flow down the bolt onto the cable. Either replace grommet or seal it or what i did was divert the water down into the fender well away fom the cable. Hope it helps....sounds crazy but look at that bolt after a heavy rain or run water down the windsheild.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 AM

one more thing mines a 96. If this helps someone please let me know. Its a great car with lots of little things wrong. and many i found fixes for. Glad to help if someone reads these

Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 AM

[img]uploads/petemanj/9ZDA8_merc2.jpg[/img]

Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Thank you for posting. I have the water leaking in on both drivers side and passenger side.

Its could be the air vent drains clogged, a/c drains clogged OR as you said the bolt. There are 3/4 screws which hold the plastic cowl down and a push pin kind of bolt at the top corner which was stuckin my caris this ths bolt you fixed?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 AM

The bolt I'm refering to is under the top cowl piece. Theres like 6 screws holding the top plastic piece. Under that is the bolt which holds the plastic tray where water collects and drains out. This is on drivers side directly above where the hood release cable comes thru firewall. run some water down the windshield then open the hood and see if the water is dripping off the bolt and see where it goes. If you cant find it I'll post a pic. Rained 3 days here heavy and my floor is not wet anymore.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be removing the cowl over the weekend, Will update my findings

Right now I have removed the carpet completely and put it to dry

Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM

OK, it was exactly the same problem on the drivers side as you described. Water leaking from the bolt on to the wire and a steady drip inside.

I used silicone RTV to seal it and cleaned the dain hole and underneath which had some mud and pine leaves, Hopefully its fixed.

On the passenger side I noticed the screen on the air vents rubber seal has become brittle and when I touched it it broke. I put RTV on it too. Is the water not supposed to enter this vent ? If so I may have to replace the screen. The water on passenger side is seeping in from below.

Thank you for posting this info

Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 AM

air enters the vent very little if any water should get in. resealing the screen is a must. The old gasket wears out over time. Silicone didnt seal good for me around the rubber gromett on the cable. I also diverted the drip so it went down in fender well to be safe. Also kept water away from the electrical connecter on the inner fenderwell. Nothing like a dry Marquis

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 PM

I have leak on the passenger side front floor that I have been trying to pin point with no success,I have removed the wind shield wiper cowl panel and resealed the air intake screen,I also removed the r/h front fender liner and the heater/ac fan and resealed a bolt that goes thru the fire wall that I thought the might be the source of the leak.While I had all that stuff apart I also checked the water drain in the heater/ac plenum to make sure it was not clogged and Ialso resealed around all the seams in the area,all this and it still leaks.

Quick Reply: wet driver side floor