Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

89 Grand marquis 5.0 FI???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Hi

Firstly just like to saygreat forum. Secondlyi live in England and would like topick your brains on this car? I am after replacing my 90 ford scorpio and thinking of another US sedan, my last car was a 77 caprice classic 350ci. I have a chance of a 1989 mercury grand marquis with a 5.0 fuel injection in it. What are these cars like. IE whats the transmission like, does it suffer with electical problems on the fuel injection etc? Genaral comments? I have only ever hadGerman fords and chevys, what i know like the back of my hand. But the mercury is new to me? Any help/thoughts Does it compear well to the caprice classic?

Thanks people, max

Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM

VBMax, in my experience these cars are very reliable and the FI 5.0L is one of the best engines Ford has every built. The FI setup is pretty simple by today's standards and relatively trouble-free. The ignition uses a TFI module which can sometimes go bad but they are fairly easy to replace. Overall it is a very good engine.

As for the transmission, my Dad has a 1987 Crown Victoria station wagon (or should I say "shooting-brake"?) with the same 5.0L engine and transmission as the car your considering. He bought the car new and has towed boats with it all it's life. He has never had any transmission problems.

The A/C system is a common problem with these cars (leaking evaporator core) and heater cores are known to go bad as well (like a lot of other U.S.-made Fords). Check the A/C & heater functionality and check the passenger-side floorboard for wetness/dampness in the carpet.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks for you veiw on this, the car has done 92.000miles and the air con belt is off and in the trunk? Rest of it seems ok, not rot what so ever,changes gears smooth and there's no oil leaks. I have another one to see as of yet that one has 189.000 miles on it and has a brand new transmission in it and leather seats. the 302 should be fine at that mileage shouldnt it? Thanks, Max

Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM

My first Grand Marquis was an `89 andI got to say that was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned (and I've been driving for over 40 years). I run it until it had 160,000 miles on it,then sold it in `02. A local guy bought it and it is still on the road. After that I bought a 2000 Grand Marquis, and I got to say there are several things about the `89 I like better. That car gave me very little trouble and no transmission problems.