General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help

Old 04-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Default Help

I was driving my 92 grand Marquis and it just stopped on me changed alternator out still won't crank

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM

If your Merc stopped running due to a dead alternator, the BATTERY has been completely discharged as well.
You will need a LONG, SLOW charge on your battery, using a 6-to-10 AMP automatic charger to avoid battery plate damage.

When replacing an alternator, ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL FIRST, and DO NOT reconnect the Negative terminal until ALL electrical work has been completed.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 95 MERC
If your Merc stopped running due to a dead alternator, the BATTERY has been completely discharged as well.
You will need a LONG, SLOW charge on your battery, using a 6-to-10 AMP automatic charger to avoid battery plate damage.

When replacing an alternator, ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL FIRST, and DO NOT reconnect the Negative terminal until ALL electrical work has been completed.
it makes a click sound when I turn key over

Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 AM

The "click" sound indicates that no power is reaching the starter.
Make sure battery has the proper water level and that it is fully charged.
Check for loose connections at the battery terminals and at the starter.
If the battery is charged up and all terminals are tight, the starter should crank the engine.
If the starter doesn't crank the engine, you can remove it and have it tested at most auto parts places -- AutoZone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, etc.

Search this Thread