Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

86 Grand Marquis 351w

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Hello,
I''m in the process of restomoding a 67 Mustang for the wife and ran across an 86 Grand Marquis in a junk yard. We know the yard owner and he said it had a 351w in it. It doesn''t have 60k miles on it and still runs where it sits.

I''m wondering if anyone can give me or point me in the direction for more info on this year engine. ie.. what cam lift/duration, HP, torque, etc. Not sure if I want to leave it as is or toss on an Edelbrock Performer intake, cam, 750 carb, heads along with the JBA mid-length headers and 2.5" exhaust.

Also what was the width of the 9" rearend used in this car? Its got a LSD and I''m thinking I might replace the 8" with the 9" in the Mustang. Pretty sure I''d have to have it cut and perches remounted aswell though.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Panther platform cars have 8.8" rear diffs in them. i would need to pull my book out to see the engine stuff. as far as i know, the 1986 Grand Marquis didnt have a 351w in them. startin in 1986 the panthers received 5.0L engines thqat were SEFI

Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Hello,I''''m in the process of restomoding a 67 Mustang for the wife and ran across an 86 Grand Marquis in a junk yard. We know the yard owner and he said it had a 351w in it. It doesn''''t have 60k miles on it and still runs where it sits.I''''m wondering if anyone can give me or point me in the direction for more info on this year engine. ie.. what cam lift/duration, HP, torque, etc. Not sure if I want to leave it as is or toss on an Edelbrock Performer intake, cam, 750 carb, heads along with the JBA mid-length headers and 2.5" exhaust.Also what was the width of the 9" rearend used in this car? Its got a LSD and I''''m thinking I might replace the 8" with the 9" in the Mustang. Pretty sure I''''d have to have it cut and perches remounted aswell though.Thanks!
The Grand Marquis of that year only got the Fuel injected 302 I believe. They have the 8.8" rear.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 AM

Not sure why but this one definitely has a 351w in it. OK so with that said I no longer know what kinda of miles are on the engine since it was from another car.

Good to know on the rear diff being 8.8" and not 9". Not a big deal here though since there were plenty of Vic''s there which I''m sure have 9" rears.

Thanks for the info as I was sure I read somewhere that it had been a rare option for 83 - 86 cars... Wikipedia or someplace I remember reading this.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 AM

can you take a picture of the motor and post it. This is a very rare setup and it would be awesome if you can post it.

Also would you l;ike a engine build sheet of the 351W.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Jason yes I''d love an engine build sheet. Let me know if its a link or something you need to email. Thanks.

As for a photo that''ll have to wait. I''m back in New Jersey for another 2 weeks. I''ll be heading back to Nova Scotia end of the month to work on the car for another 6 weeks. This is where the grand marquis is also. I''ll take a photo when we go to pull the engine and post shortly afterwards.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM

sweet...

i will post the build sheet with dyno results by the end of the week. You can also check out other engine posts i did for the marquis last month. those might help you out with some stuff. But for the 351W, I will post one by the end of the week.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

panther platforms have 8.8 inch rear diffs in them... not 9 inch. only difference with the panther platforms for the diffs was the gears but all had 8.8 inch rears.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

i am looking at my car book and Mercury didnt have any 351w in them in 1986. only way to tell what the engine can do is if you knew what it came from

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM

As I said it must have had an engine swap done at some point as under the hood definitely has a 351w sitting there. Hopefully I''ll be ripping it out first 1/2 of September sometime. I''ll bookmark and note to follow up with a photo.