Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

86 Grand Marquis 351w

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM

How much are you getting the complete motor for? how much horsepower are you looking to get with the rebuild? What is you budget? Please don''t tell me 1500 bucks. I am trying to get a build sheet with the dyno results for you by the end of the week.

One more question, why not stick with a different 5.0 if you want to do a rebuild? I was just wondering because they are better and cheaper.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 AM

To give you an idea of what we''re doing... Our 67 mustang had a rebuilt 289 when I purchased it Jan 1st this year. Since then every nut, bolt, fastener has been removed and the car is currently on a rotisserie and down to bare metal. Prep is underway to POR-15 the entire car now that all bad metal has been replaced (cowl, floors, torque boxes, toe boards, sub frame connectors, etc) to ensure no rust issues in the future. Complete AJE Racing front suspension including Coil-over, Tubular K-Member & spindles (SN95), A-Arm and Power R&P (Fox) are being installed. Complete 68 Shelby fiberglass kit (hood, trunk, side scoops, grill) are being installed. Vintage Air heat & A/C system, 9" rear, 4-speed manual toploader, JBA mid-length headers w 2.5" exhaust, disk brakes, Ron Francis custom wiring, PS, PB, PW, PL, heated seats, adjustable back lumbar and headrests in original seats, 3-point seat belts, dash gauges, custom internal wifi video paging security system, new interior are all being installed / upgraded as well.

Pretty much everything is being replaced or modified in some way. Will be painted dark moss green w/metallic, a black vinyl roof and Ivy Gold Interior.

The car is being rebuilt and highly restomodded as a daily driver for my wife. Classic car with lots of comfort, handling and some added safety. She said she wanted a 351w, 4-speed manual & the 68 Shelby fiberglass before we even started the project so as the saying goes.. ''what the wife wants, the wife gets".

I''m getting the complete engine for 200.00 bucks which includes anything else in the engine bay I may want or need. Grabbing 2 9" rear ends from the yard, both with limited slip for 75.00 each. We plan on nabbing a couple others for that price as well if we have time. I''ll be having the housing tubes shortened to fit the mustang and spring perches remounted by a local machine shop who do quite a bit.

As for power we''re looking at somewhere around 400 give or take. The 351w is known for low end torque and thats what were after for a fun street car. Not looking to stroke it out. I''m more interested in a strong reliable build however since it''ll be a daily driven car. Budget.. lol now thats funny! Seriously though, I am attempting to keep costs down but I''m not foolish enough to think it''ll be cheap and still dependable. I''d like to keep a rebuild around 2k or that area if possible. I don''t think this is an unreasonably figure and if we fall a bit short I can add more later.

Its really my first project car like this and I''ve been having fun with it so far. Opinions and comments are always welcome. Thanks for helping out with a build sheet by the way!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Fun is the key and it looks like thats what you are doing.

The car sounds awesome and actually I am thinking about buying my wife a 67 with the chrome trim around the tail. I think this is a cool car.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Yeah it''s been fun.. loads of cursing and head scratching but loads of fun![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] I''ve always wanted to rebuild one and when I told the wife she said.. ''fine, after you do one for me''. Whats a guy to do..[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Do a Google search for the 68 Shelby Green Hornet EXP500 as once done thats pretty much what it''ll look like. It was an experimental Shelby for an IRS setup and a few other thing. We''re not going with the EXP500 stripes but close to the same colors.. slightly different green.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM

you are putting in a IRS!!! SWEET! That baby is going to hook up great.

Now are you doing all of the motor work your self? You said a budget of 2,000 bucks for the rebuild. I am really scratching my head on why you are going to put in a 2K motor in a 30k car. Ihave some build sheets of 495H.P for around 4,000 with the dyno stuff to tune it in. Really not that bad of a price for the parts in it. I will get you what you want. Are you looking for a mild cam sound?

What kind of trans is going in the wifes ride?

Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Brother, I can not find one build sheet for that price. You might be better off getting a crate motor. short or long block and use the accessorys from the junk yard jewel.

If you go with a 5.0L it issomething that is doable for that price.

a good place to look forDIY stuff is car craft or hotrod magazine.

www.carcraft.com www.hotrod.com

Good luck and sorry i could not help

Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Well we went down last week and got the 351w out of the Grand Marquis. Turned out to be an 82 I noticed while looking at the door tag. Got the complete engine with everything on it and a pile of other smaller items off the car as well. Here is a link to some photos since some of you had asked.

Taking it out:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08091119/cm62e0w9n7/

Top end apart and the old mustang 289 in the corner: http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08091621/imw1hqe1wu/

It''''s a transplant engine however its stock bore. I''''ve stripped it down and all matching surfaces (heads, intake, etc) are rust free. The heads have never been off the block and the cylinder walls have no marks. Taking the block, heads and crank in to have them cleaned and tested.

Just an update as I hate not finishing a post [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Edited by: Adrenolin

Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 AM

I belive the 302 was the only engine offered.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM

Yeah so I''ve been told already. As I said, I''m certain the original engine in it was a 302 however it was definitely a 351w (79-84) that we took out.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM

hey Jason, just wonderin if you posted your 5.0 buildup sheet yet. I
probably just missed it but it''s appreciated.

thanks allot, andy