Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

How to turn off the Air bag?? Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Is there a way to disconnect the airbags on a 94 grand marquis??? my airbag light is flashing in sequences of 5 and i know it means it needs inspection... personally i dislike airbags and they have only caused more damage than good... is there a fuse??? i can pull it and just not worry about them ever deploying?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 PM

It's a proven fact (by people who do testing and statistics, not just relate on certain statements) that airbags do more good than damage.

Besides, a seatbelt does damage too, but nobody talks about it.

Anyway, fuse #17 (light blue) is in the circuit for the air bag control module. But does also control redundant power supply, daytime running lights (I know, not available), trailer tow relay, rear window defroster, heated windshield, backup lamps, keyless entry module, speed control and speed sensitive power steering.

Other one would be #18 (light blue) for warning indicator lamps. But then you loose all the other ones too (oil pressure)! Also, throttle solenoid positioner, autolamp system, electronic chimes and air bag module.

Either put a black post it note over it, or take it to the shop and have the code red out. You never know what it might say. It could only be a bad connection (remember, 13 years of dirt and wear on electric connectors). That means you have to disconnect and clean them.

Probably the easiest would be to take the light bulb out. Or to disarm system (15 minutes disconnected battery) and take the control module out. No control module: no light, no deploying airbag.

In addition, it is illegal in certain states to disable airbag systems. In addition, if you have an accident and the insurance finds out, you could face less or no coverage.

I have the same issue, I should get my codes checked. Wonder what it says. BTW: new air bag sensors i. e. on eBay go for only about $25.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM

Yeah right, airbag sensor for #25. No way! LOL

Had my system checked yesterday. Malfunction in the airbag control module. Dealer quoted me around $450 for it, but that's with installation. [img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

Already saw used ones for around $20 to $50, so not too bad.

The module is behind the glove compartment, you have to lower it (2 screws) in order to get access to it.

Greetings!