Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

New car after a Grand Marquis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Default New car after a Grand Marquis?

Well, back in the '90s, my Ford Crown Vic was great. And now, my '99 Grand Marquis has been even greater. So, since they're both discontinued now, what is my next logical choice for a new dependable American car in the future? Yep, I could always buy a used 2010 or 2011 Marquis. (I can't see myself driving a Taurus, though....)

Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM

There ain't no 2011 Marq.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Have you ever tried a Chrysler 300? They ride really nice.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM

To get something that big as a replacement I would suggest a full size SUV.

What are you looking for in particular, I will assume you aren't worried about gas mileage but ride quality and the handling of the newer vehicles are improved because of rack an pinion steering. I believe my 03 Grand Marquis was the first year for that.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:37 PM

There are plenty of Marquis out there with low mileage although Ford stopped making them a foolish move I always thought. I guess Ford never thought of all the Crown Vics our Police Departments use to purchase. You see Crown Vics and Marquis all the time going for good prices. Many younger people out there have no idea what a great car they are and think they are gas guzzlers and we know that isn't true.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-07-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ffas23
There are plenty of Marquis out there with low mileage although Ford stopped making them a foolish move I always thought. I guess Ford never thought of all the Crown Vicks our Police Departments use to purchase. You see Crown Vicks and Marquis all the time going for good prices. Many younger people out there have no idea what a great car they are and think they are gas guzzlers and we know that isn't true.
They stopped making them because the federal government upped the CAFE (corporate average fuel efficiency requirements) and made all vehicles (Cars & Trucks)have to hit the same average. The Crown Vic & Grand Marquis were dropped due to poor fuel mileage. It's also the reason so many turbo models are out now. Turbo is used to compensate for engines that are otherwise too small for the vehicle.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GS37
Well, back in the '90s, my Ford Crown Vic was great. And now, my '99 Grand Marquis has been even greater. So, since they're both discontinued now, what is my next logical choice for a new dependable American car in the future? Yep, I could always buy a used 2010 or 2011 Marquis. (I can't see myself driving a Taurus, though....)
Unless you're totally set on a Ford, you could look at an Impala or Buick as well as a Chrysler 300. Ford doesn't really make anything in the Grand Marquis or Crown Vics place. Even the big Lincolns are gone.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Default 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted by gerb
There ain't no 2011 Marq.
For model year 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis, 248 examples were produced. The last unit was driven off the assembly line January 4, 2011 at 7:46 A.M. at the St. Thomas assembly plant in Ottawa. As of January 1, 2019, 105 examples were registered in the lower 48 states. It is estimated a few other examples may still exist in drivable condition in other countries, but no firm data could be found.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 PM

Still driving my 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. It is still my go to everyday car in great shape. Some family see me driving my 21 year old Mercury and ask me why I don't replace it with a new car. I tell them nothing interest me out there. I love rear wheel drive cars. I learned how to drive driving on rear wheel drive cars. That was how most cars were made. Ford put out a Great car in the Crown Vic and Mercury Marquis. They made a big mistake getting rid of them. I have no complaints with the gas mileage at all that my Mercury Marquis gets for the kind of car it is. If something was to happen to it I would look for another out there before I would buy something else to replace it. My family purchased this one brand new in I believe April of 2000. Not sorry a bit. A very dependable car if you take care of it.

Last edited by ffas23; 01-06-2021 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Add on
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 AM
Default Keep 'er -- It's cheaper !

Still going strong and looking good, your 2000 Marquis is a sure winner -- and I'd sure like to get my hands on a set of those alloy wheels, but the cost doesn't fit my pecuniary situation !!

Classic Style "Italian Lace" Wheels. Goodyear ComforTread Touring Tires.
These are 15" wheels, made in Italy -- upgrades on early '90s Crown Vics, Lincolns, and Marquis -- these are from a '92 Vic, with Mercury hub caps. These wheels were not available in the '95 model year.
Getting hard to find top-quality "98-T" tires for the 15s -- The U.S.A.-made COOPER seems to be the only brand that meets my criteria.
I like your grille better than mine, and your Coil-On-Plug engine has more power than The 95 MERC -- but my engine bay is cleaner and easier to maintain, so I'm gonna drive it 'til the wheels fall off, which ain't likely to happen. ;>
If I was you, I'd run your Marquis for a few more years -- parts are still available, and it WON'T DEPRECIATE much more if it's well-maintained. In other words, I'd keep 'er, it's cheaper ;>
OR, look for a low-mileage 2010 Merc Marquis or Lincoln Town Car -- and GOOD LUCK !!

Quick Reply: New car after a Grand Marquis?