Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Question about brake repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Cool Question about brake repair

Hi,

I took my car to a licensed mechanic who works from his home garage. When I asked him if he did brakes, he replied that brakes were mostly what he did. So, I felt confident that there would be no problems; besides, many people recommended him on Facebook.

The problem with my brakes is that they were squealing sporadically, sometimes when I backed up, other times when stopping at lights or signs. The mechanic eyeballed the wheels and brakes and said that he could fix them for only $125. I should have asked specifically what he was going to do, but I didn't.

I went back to get the car, and he immediately told me that the brakes were getting hot and smelled after he replaced the brake pads. He told me he had a difficult time putting the calipers back on and that the pistons were sticking. He assured me that there was no problem with that, but if it lasted longer than a week to call him. Well, I went to the store right after, and when I put the car in reverse, it just stayed. Normally, it would have gone backwards on its own. Also, when I walked away from the car, I could really smell the brakes.

I took it back to him, and sure enough, the brakes were sticking. He then told me that it would be $175 per back wheel to put new calipers and hoses on. I think what he charged me was reasonable, but I question whether he should have known to replace the calipers to begin with. If he knew the brakes were sticking and getting hot wouldn't that tell him that the pistons were sticking out? He also put new ceramic pads on after this happened (at no charge), so I am wondering if it damaged the new brake pads and that's why he upgraded them.

I asked him if I should be charged with labor again, since he could have put the new calipers on at the same time he was doing the brake pads. He said he would have charged MORE for labor had he done it all at once.

I'd like some opinions from the group. I paid a total of $400 for replacement of two pads, two calipers and hoses. The labor was $175 I think. Should he have known calipers were needed, and if so, could he have done it at the same time?

TIA

Last edited by murkeree_owner; 03-25-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-25-2015, 02:13 PM

You were a part if the decision making process on the first go. You should have requested the calipers be changed. In a highend shop you would have been charged about the same for the final result but they also would have insisted on turning the rotors. My only concern here is the heat might have damaged the rear axel seals. Anyway, you made out ok and the second labor charge in my option was fair since if you had requested known-good calipers too it would have been done the first go. He might have encouraged you to try it because he detected that you were budget minded. Not his fault, you should not try save money on breaks. If any part of it seems not right fix it or put in fresh. Its brakes! They are how you stop.