Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Stutter Problem (from car)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Default Stutter Problem (from car)

Hey guys,

So here's the lowdown...I was basically running on fumes the one night because I couldn't find an open gas station but luckily I found some gas and the next day the car starting stuttering, not accelerating like it should, and I keep hearing a weird click sometimes when I press on the gas.

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and used Lucas injector cleaner on 89 octane and it STILL has the stutter problem. The mechanic who changed the fuel pump said it definitely isn't the injectors so now I'm at a loss...

If anyone could toss me some ideas I'd be grateful...Also plugs were done about 2 months ago but not the wires or coils. I don't see them being the problem randomly especially after the fuel situation...HELP!

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM

Wires misplaced on plugs? Fuel pressure reading? Did the mechanic scan the car for trouble codes? Scan for codes, check vacuum lines, clean the MAF sensor, inspect the throttle body/clean the throttle body-would be a start. Exactly when did it start doing this...after which work was done? after the fuel filter replace? After spark plug replacement? Possible codes would likely relate to : TPS (throttle position sensor), MAF (mass airflow sensor) or idle air control valve. No codes would suggest checking coil packs/wires, checking fuel system again.

Last edited by EddieE; 03-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Wires misplaced on plugs? Fuel pressure reading? Did the mechanic scan the car for trouble codes? Scan for codes, check vacuum lines, clean the MAF sensor, inspect the throttle body/clean the throttle body-would be a start. Exactly when did it start doing this...after which work was done? after the fuel filter replace? After spark plug replacement? Possible codes would likely relate to : TPS (throttle position sensor), MAF (mass airflow sensor) or idle air control valve. No codes would suggest checking coil packs/wires, checking fuel system again.

The wires are on normal. The mechanic automatically said "fuel pump" and didn't test anything and I trusted his judgement since I've been there before. The throttle body is a bit dirty. It started acting up BEFORE the filter was replaced. The plugs are only about 2 months old. Sometimes when I'm accelerating it sounds like it coughs and I can feel it in the pedal. I checked the plugs today, cleaned them up, made sure the wires were in good and tight. What are the chances it's the injectors?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM

I noticed you said still had the stutter problem, so it was stuttering before the fuel pump change? What is the fuel pressure reading? Is the check engine light on? Scan for codes?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Default problem solved

I figured out the problem....there's a hose for the heater core sitting above the spark plugs on the passenger side that's leaking and it leaked right into the spark plug chamber and the plug in front of that one had tons of carbon on it from being overused. Thanks for your help though!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Nice fix! First thing I was leaning towards was wires/plugs, seems like many problems boil back down to basic items. Glad you fixed it!

Last edited by EddieE; 03-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.