Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

Egr help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Default Egr help

I have a '05 monterey and have check engine light on. Auto Zone gave me code p0401. They say it is EGR valve, but do not know anything about it. Can some one help with this code before I go and replace the EGR valve? Is it something that can be cleaned? Is there sensors on it to clean or anything? Please help, thank you.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

it's actually a code for egr insufficient flow.

The first Google link I found gives this info:
A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

* The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
* There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup
* The EGR valve is faulty
* The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum

Look for something (hoses usually sometimes pipes) coming from the exhaust manifold and going to the intake or 2 hoses going to a plastic box bolted on the engine somewhere (usually this is the DPFE). I just replaced that exact part on a coworker's explorer, though it's much older (99 model). Check these parts for breaks, melted areas, etc. If it looks broken, replace it. Also check the vacuum lines going to/from the EGR valve and make sure nothing is broken or has slipped off.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Does anyone have a pic of the DPFE sensors? How much does that cost? How can I clean out the vacuum tube and the egr valve? any diagrams?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM

for cost info, check with your local parts places (or their websites in the case of napa, autozone, o'reilly, etc). You can also find pics of most things on autozone's site. Do check the hoses first. if it's simply something that slipped off and just needs to be shoved back on, that's definitely the easiest and cheapest fix.

as for cleaning out the recirculation tube, that depends on how it's done. I'm not up to speed on the newer engines so I can't really direct you there. on older engines there's usually a tube that goes from the exhaust manifold up to the EGR valve. some of the newer engines I've seen (mainly honda) have the tube built into the block and intake manifold. As for diagrams, Ford service manuals are probably the only place you'll find those (besides the sticker under the hood for the vacuum diagram and belt diagram). The manual for your car may also have some diagrams. If you don't have the manual, check out www.motorcraftservice.com and click on owner guides on the left and enter your vehicle info. You can download a PDF of most vehicles made after 1996.

They will not have diagrams of the EGR system though other than what's on the vacuum diagram under the hood unless you get the service manuals. And those are usually kinda pricey.

Last edited by slymer; 10-14-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typos