Marauder Discuss the Mercury Marauder here...

What is the difference in Engines

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Default What is the difference in Engines

What is the difference between the Mercury Grand Marquis engine and the Mercury Marauder engine? I think one difference is the number of valves per cylinder. Is it not true that the Marquis engine has two valves per cylinder and the Marauder has 4? What else?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM

let's see. 4.6L DOHC 32V modular V-8. Revamped intake. Engine block, heads, cam all from the same years Mach I's. (even Lincoln Aviator parts,too.) High flow dual exhaust. Limited slip w/3.55's from the Interceptor. An aluminum driveshaft which unfortunatly never let it get near the 140 m.p.h. on the speedo, also donated, but prettied up from the Interceptor. Bucket seats with a console and a 4 speed auto w/floor shifter. All this gave it 302 h.p. vs. 239 h.p. in the Marquis. 18 in. 5 spokers w/50 series and blacked out eveything. All this and it was still slower all around (except on the skid pad) compared to it's main competition, the Impala SS. Oh well, it is way nicer to look at and I'd rather have one any day. Does that answer your question? I can give you more if you want.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:18 AM

In case you were wondering, I am selling my Ducati and I'm in the market for a new car. The Marauder is near the top of my list, so I have researched it recently. I didn't just know all that off the top of my head.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by conan312
let's see. 4.6L DOHC 32V modular V-8. Revamped intake. Engine block, heads, cam all from the same years Mach I's. (even Lincoln Aviator parts,too.) High flow dual exhaust. Limited slip w/3.55's from the Interceptor. An aluminum driveshaft which unfortunatly never let it get near the 140 m.p.h. on the speedo, also donated, but prettied up from the Interceptor. Bucket seats with a console and a 4 speed auto w/floor shifter. All this gave it 302 h.p. vs. 239 h.p. in the Marquis. 18 in. 5 spokers w/50 series and blacked out eveything. All this and it was still slower all around (except on the skid pad) compared to it's main competition, the Impala SS. Oh well, it is way nicer to look at and I'd rather have one any day. Does that answer your question? I can give you more if you want.
Ok, can you be more specific about the engine. From your answer I see that the Marauder engine has 4 valves per cylinder. How many valves per cyclinder does the Marquis engine have? How is the engine block different?

I'm not really concerned about any other differences other than between the two engines (ie. not the seats or the tranny).

Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 AM

The 4.6L in the Marquis has 2 valves per cylinder. The engine block and heads are cast iron vs. an all aluminum set-up in the Marauder. The Marquis is also a SOHC engine that does not require premium fuel as the 'rauder does. Are you in the market for one of these or maybe an engine swap? Any other ?'s

Old 05-09-2016, 02:41 PM

From what I hear the intake cams are different to compensate for the greater weight of the Merc from the Mach I. On a recent trip between Idaho and Arizona my Marauder with only an SCT tuner and 4:11 gears buried the speedometer and the GPS indicated just under 155 MPH.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 AM

4:11's ... dang