Montego Discuss the Mercury Montego here...

’’72 GT

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Hey all, another new guy here. I was just wondering if there was anybody here on the forums with any older Montego or Cyclones. I''m talking late 60''s-early ''70''s cars. Although I missed it by a couple of years, That was a great time to be a youngin''. My Dad was a gearhead, and owned several businesses including several small used car lots,the buy here, pay here kind. So I''ve owned or have driven many, many different cars. But this is about my sister. She had (until it was struck at a red light) a ''70 Cyclone GT, with the 351C 4V engine. That car was nasty. After the accident, she tried to find another one, but they were usually beat. My Dad came acrossa ''72 Montego GT that was pretty nice. It was that dark green that was so popular then, and had a 351C 2V engine. When my Dad brought it home (I think I know what he had in mind) my sister fell in love with it. The first thing she did was a repaint. Her Cyclone GT was bright red with a white vinyle top and white buckets. So, the Montego turned bright red, but had a black combo instead. She did some things with the interior, stereo and such. She had planned on transplanting the power plant from the Cyclone. But ran into some personal problems. So that had to wait. She was use to the grunt of the 4V, so she never did like how much slower it got up to speed. she drove that car for years before she had to finally retire it (about ''93 or so). Recently, our Dad passed away. But he left use with great memories. My sister was still dreaming of driving the car again after doing the 4V swap. But because of a unscrupulous move on an uncles part, that will never happen.But that''s another story. Now it sits in the driveway covered up with a tarp. Begging for another chance.............