Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Liftgate Panel Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 06:49 PM

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]Well, I've got the Liftgate Crack blues. There is one major crack (4" long") onthe top of the plastic middle panel of the liftgate just below the rear glass. There are4 minor cracks (1" long) on the lower part of the middle plastic panel also.Just got back from the L/M Dealer and the service gnome said that they've seen that before, but it's only covered in the original warranty (3/36). The area dealer rep will call me in about 2 weeks to discuss. I won't hold my breath though. Will keep all informed.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

it just cracked on its own?

Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 AM

That's right, the top crack started as a hairline crack and it just got wider and wider. The other cracks are still hairline. On other forums it seems there are other people with the sameproblem. It's just a poor design idea to have half plastic and half metalon a liftgate that opens and is banged shut due to the liftgate coming down to close. I don't even use the liftgate that often.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM

I have a 2004 the same thing happened to me. When my wife took it to the dealer they knew exactly what the problem was and had seen it before. it cracked at the emblem from top to bottom. parts on order[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM

when i went to the dealer they replaced a liftgate hinge or somethink like that because it had been recalled, check yours fro recalls, i have a 2002 V6 4.0

Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 AM

I've got a 2004, and we just got the crack this past week. Dealership was quite familiar with the problem. Its supposed to be a problem with Explorers too. Ordinarily, the 36 mo/36,000 mile warranty would cover it, but we've got 45,000 miles, so they're supposed to let me know if it will be covered. Strangely, the service manager asked where I bought the Mountaineer (at their dealership) before committing to make the effort to have it covered.

Local body shop gave an estimate of $302 to repair. Turns out all the emblems that are stuck to the liftgate (Mountaineer, Premiere, AWD, V8) cost more than the plastic panel that cracked.That estimate didn't include the Mercury emblem, because he thought they could re-use the old one. Showed me the parts diagram for the liftgate. There is a metal panel under the plastic exterior panel, but it is skeletonized, and under the Mercury emblem, there is a big hole in the metal panel, so the exterior panel is unsupported under the Mercury emblem. When one pushes on the Mercury emblem (which seems to bea logical place to use when closing the liftgate), the panel flexes. It eventually cracks on the inside of the panel. The crack eventually works it ways out to the exterior of the panel. Supposed to be worse in colder weather.

Seems like an obviously bad design. I wonder if Ford has instituted anypolicy of making the repair.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by bisben2

I've got a 2004, and we just got the crack this past week. Dealership was quite familiar with the problem. Its supposed to be a problem with Explorers too. Ordinarily, the 36 mo/36,000 mile warranty would cover it, but we've got 45,000 miles, so they're supposed to let me know if it will be covered. Strangely, the service manager asked where I bought the Mountaineer (at their dealership) before committing to make the effort to have it covered.

Local body shop gave an estimate of $302 to repair. Turns out all the emblems that are stuck to the liftgate (Mountaineer, Premiere, AWD, V8) cost more than the plastic panel that cracked.That estimate didn't include the Mercury emblem, because he thought they could re-use the old one. Showed me the parts diagram for the liftgate. There is a metal panel under the plastic exterior panel, but it is skeletonized, and under the Mercury emblem, there is a big hole in the metal panel, so the exterior panel is unsupported under the Mercury emblem. When one pushes on the Mercury emblem (which seems to bea logical place to use when closing the liftgate), the panel flexes. It eventually cracks on the inside of the panel. The crack eventually works it ways out to the exterior of the panel. Supposed to be worse in colder weather.

Seems like an obviously bad design. I wonder if Ford has instituted anypolicy of making the repair.

According to my Alldata, there is a recall on that.

Call 1-800-325-5621

Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM

PM me you email address and i'll send you the letter from Ford.

Edited by: fujow111

Old 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM

there was a recall for that and my dealerships replaced it. before mine cracked, it should be covered if there is a recall for the liftgare

Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 PM

The recall notice seems to be for older Mountaineers.

My dealer has said he'll do the repair, as a kind of informal extended warranty. I'll have to pay $100 towards the repair though. Mountaineer goes to the shop next week. That's not great, but still a lot better than the $300 a body shop wanted.

Quick Reply: Liftgate Panel Cracks