Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Crank NO Start

Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Default Crank NO Start

2001 Mercury Sable 110,000 miles. 3.0L V6 DOHC

(1) Drove to work with no problems at all. When it was time to come home later that day, car will crank but no start. Battery was fully charged.

(2) I checked the pressure at the schrader valve and it was zero when I tried starting the car.

(3) I checked for spark at the spark plugs with the special tool and there were spark each time I tried starting the engine.

(4) I sprayed throttle body cleaner into throttle and the engine started.

(5) I checked the voltage at both pins (1, and 2) of the inertia switch and there was voltage on both pins when I turned the key to the "ON" position (Indicates that inertia switch was fine). However, I could NOT hear the pump prime.

(6) Since I could not hear the pump prime and there was voltage, I suspected the pump. So, I purchased and installed a new pump. That did not fix the problem, behaviour was the same (zero PSI at schrader valve).

(7) I measured the pressure at the output of the fuel filter, and there was no pressure. However, if I remove the meter from the output of the filter, fuel WILL pour out unrestricted from the filter. No trickle, it actually pours out.

Questions:
(1) If I connect a pressure gage directly to the output of the fuel filter, how much PSI should I read. Please note, this is right at the output of the fuel filter BEFORE it gets to the engine compartment.

(2) Is there a Fuel Pressure Regulator ANYWHERE on this vehicle (in the tank as part of the pump, or on the fuel rail where the injectors are, before the schrader valve)? I cannot find one.

(3) All I can see before the schrader valve is what is called a PIPE-FUEL (part number YS4Z-9J280-FA Pipe - Fuel | Genuine Ford | YS4Z-9J280-FA : Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com). What is the function of this part?

(4) Should I REALLY read ~40+ PSI at the schrader valve in order for the car to start?

(5) IF the output of the pump (measured at the output of the fuel filter) is NOT 40+ PSI, what increases the pressure at the schrader valve to 40PSI if that is what is required for the car to start?

Regards,
Stanford