Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

sable driver power switch replace

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Has anyone replaced the power switch on the driver door? My 2003 Sable won''''''''t allow me to roll down or up the windows (it rarely does).

At night, I found out the dimmer light on the button is turned off as soon as it is pressed. And the window doesn''''''''t roll down. So, I suspect it is a power window switch issue. Local repair shop asks for $120, but I think I can replace it myself (power switch is only $25).

My problem is "Does the switch easily come off the door trim?" The power switch has four buttons for each window and one more button for window lock.Edited by: koen

Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM

replacing single switches is not easy since all 4 window switches are usually mounted to a board. now if you''re replacing the whole board, that''s generally easy enough. once you get the door panels off, you can generally extract the switches by removing a few screws. I would suggest getting a repair manual for your car before doing it so you''ll know what you''re getting into before doing it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 PM

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Thank you for your answer. I''''m planning to replace the whole switch (it''''s only $25), but I want to make sure if I have to take the door trim. Can we just pry the whole switch board out using a flat screw driver? I tried and found it is lifted up by about 1/4", but I stopped there, because I didn''t want to break something since I don''t knowif the switch board can be detached off the door trim with the door trim still attachedto the door.Thanks for your answer in advance.Edited by: koen

Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM

this is why the chiltons/haynes repair manual would be a good thing for you. it shows how to do this. I don''t know exactly how that setup is put in that car. there''s usually a screw underneath that holds something in. taking the door panel off is a must.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:47 AM

What Slymer said, you gotta pull the panel.... The switch assembly is held in with little plastic tabs that you CAREFULLY have to release as you push the switch out.. (they will break off kinda easily) Be cautious in removing the door panel as it''s easy to break the little plastic things that hold it on as well.. A trim removal tool or a good stout putty knive is a good idea for removing the panel..

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

I already checked chiltons/haynes repair manual, but it only shows how to pull the door trim off, not if it is possible to take the switch off without the door trim off. Most of cars have window switches that can be pulled off without taking door trims off (e.g. Ford Fusion).

To maxfax3.

If I plan to replace the switch assembly, isn''''t it O.K. to push out the switch assembly? They can break off, but so what? I will replace it with a new one. I just don''t want to try to take the door trim down and break more critical things than theswitch assembly that will be replaced with a new one anyhow. Thank you for your kind reply in advance[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Edited by: koen

Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 PM

Most Fords and other makes for that matter you can just pop the trim piece out that holds the switch.. Maybe it will comeone on the newer Sables.. I know on my 97 they are supposed to come out towards the inside of the panel.... I popped the trim piece outta mine but ended up having to glue it back in..

Old 02-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the answer. Due to my impatience, I pried the trim (not door trim, but the bezel that holds the switch) out. And as expected[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img], the bezelis partially broken at one end (the door trim itself is intact). But, at least I can replace the switch now without having to take the whole door trim down. The only problem is now I have to glue the bezeltrim and the switch, because the bezel is broken (it seems like dealers don''''t sell the bezel only).

All in alll, I think it was worthin breaking the bezel, since I know how vexing it is to take a whole door trim down. Bye.Edited by: koen

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM

A little glue goes a long way... I kinda preferred doing it that way myself... Had to pull the panel off other doors and the crappy plastic clips that hold them on never seem to hold quite right...

Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I replaced the switch with a new one. It didn''t fix it. Finally I took my Sable to a local repair shop. They found the root cause. The wire around the door hinge was cut. It costed me $150 (2 hrs'' labor).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sable driver power switch replace