Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2 questions - 99 Sable LS

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 AM

I have a 99 Sable LS. I have 2 questions for now.

1. Sometimes my car hesitates upon acceleration after a stop, or at low speeds. It''ll slow and kick a little bit.
someone posted about this happening to their 99 as well yesterday.
The check engine soon light practically stays on, except for about a day or 2 after its been in the shop. The coolant light is also always on, even tho I had my thermometer replaced and the coolant reservoir replaced and worked on and its fine, and it never does over heat.
Anyways, I did have autozone read the code, its been quite a while. I believe it was something like transmission torque converter but can''t remember the code. I did look it up online afterwards and read most places will say replace the transmission but that warned they had it done and the code persisted. or that it it could be the solenoids or something? From the other post I read on here, I haven''t had my fuel filter changed lately. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

2. Brakes- my rear drum brakes are crazy loud and annoying. I took my car to 2 different brake places and both said my brakes are fine just rusty. that its normal. Its been a year now of extreme squeaky braking and I cant take it anymore. Im going to buy new drums/shoes/hardware tomorrow and have a friend put them on. My question is, I read to buy the best brake shoes available at the auto store and not to worry about the drums, just get whatever. is that true? So I was thinkin of getting wagner thermaquiet shoes, the most exspensive kind they have and the cheapest drums. Is this a bad idea, do I need good quality drums to match the shoes or does it matter?
lastly.... I had someone recommend the permatex caliper grease. Where all does this need to be applied at?

-sorry so long [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 AM

I see you read the other post about a 99 sable hesitation problem.. Same advice applies... AS far as your brakes you may have shoes with a high metallic content (and metal rusts!)or something like that.. Usually organic and ceramic are pretty quiet.. Organic shoes will stop nice, and are quiet, but they won''t last worth a crap..

You don;t necessarily need the most expensive shoes just good quality.. Same goes for drums as well.. If you''re planning on keeping this car a while or if you tend to be hard on brakes (city driving, hilly driving, driving like me) The higher quality is a good idea.. AS far as the caliper grease it is recomended to put a SMALL dab of some variety of grease where the shoes rub the backing plate, but in reality it isn;t going to last long.. The adjuster screw, however, I woudl coat with anti sieze...