Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

98 Grand Marquis Key Fob keyless remote

Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Default 98 Grand Marquis Key Fob keyless remote

I bought my grand marquis used and it didnt have a key fob. I bought one and I have read 2 different ways to program the key fob and neither work.

The one goes like this: Get in the car, key in ignition, turn the key from the off position to the run position 10 x's in under 10 seconds ending the cycle on the run position and then the doors will lock then unlock to let you know you have entered the programming mode. (My car does not lock and then unlock using this method.) Once the car locks then unlocks press the lock or unlock button on the key fob and your all done.

2nd way I got from a local locksmith and he said you:
Lock your doors, close the door Go to your keyless entry pad on the door. Enter you original 5 digit code then press the 1/2 button and then press lock or unlock on your keyfob before the lights on the keypad go out and then your remote is programmed.
This doesnt work either.

I tested the remote and battery at a local parts store and it works.

I remember when i owned 1 95 ford taurus to program a remote you had to go to the trunk and find this 2 wire harness that wasnt connected to anything, short it with a paperclip, press lock or unlock on you keyfob and the key fob was programmed. This worked with my 95 taurus.

On my 98 Grand Marquis there is a similar 2 wire harness that isnt connected to anything on the rear deck lid inside the trunk very close to the 5 digit entry code on the hinge.
Im afraid to short it like the 95 Taurus bc I am not sure thats what this is.

Anyoen ever had this problem and how did you resolve it?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM

I will verify this procedure on this model tomorrow at work (Ford tech) but 90% of vehicles are programmed the following way.

Turn key from off to on 8 times,ending in "on" (within 10 seconds)
The locks should cycle lock/unlock to confirm entering programming.
Push a button on your keyfob,it should work.

If the locks do not cycle lock/unlock on the 8th time (i'll verify it's not 10,a few are) you either do not have the keyless option (unlikely if it has factory keyless pad) or there is an issue in the GEM or security module (or door lock module etc depending what controls the keyless)

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM

Oh yeah,confirm you have the correct remote for your vehicle or it won't work (not just any merc/ford remote will work)

Also,you mentioned your 5 digit code being on your hinge??
Can you expand on that? If the factory code is on the vehicle somewhere it sure would make it easier to get the code for customers,no plugging in a computer.
I'm going to check some hinges tomorrow and plug in to double check against the master programming code.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM

I spoke with a Ford Tech last night and he said that the 98 Grand Marquis has to be sent to the dealership and connected to a computer. He claims this was the only year they did this and gave me this from a shop manual.

Transmitter, Keyless Entry Remote

NOTE: The electronic door lock control system will not function when the transmission is in drive or reverse.

• The electronic door lock control system includes two four-button (hand-held) keyless entry remote transmitters (15K601). Up to four transmitters can be programmed to a single vehicle.
  • Keyless entry remote transmitter are reprogrammable. Programming must be performed using an NGS Ford Service Function (FSF) card. Transmitter programming can no longer be performed using the key pad. When troubleshooting the system, one keyless entry remote transmitter is needed to perform tests.
  • To unlock the driver front door, press the unlock button on the keyless entry remote transmitteronce.
  • To unlock all doors, press the unlock button on the keyless entry remote transmitter a second time within five seconds of the first unlock.
  • If more than five seconds have elapsed since the first press of the unlock button, pressing the unlock button again will only unlock the driver front door.
  • To unlock the luggage compartment door (40110), press the trunk button on the keyless entry remote transmitter.
  • To turn on interior lamps (13776) and door lock cylinder illumination, press any of the following keyless entry remote transmitter buttons: unlock, trunk or panic.
  • Security lighting will turn on exterior lamps at low ambient light levels (with Autolamps on) when the transmitter unlock button is depressed.
  • To lock both doors, press lock button once on the keyless entry remote transmitter.
  • To confirm that both doors have locked, press lock button again within five seconds of the first press. This will sound the horn (13832) and lock both doors again.
Programming keyless entry remote transmitters must be performed via the NGS Ford Service Function (FSF) card.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM

He is correct,i'm looking at my cheat sheet for remote programming procedures and it outlines using the IDS or NGS computer to program.

I guess i've never programmed a 98 grand marquis (I have done hundreds of grand marquis though) or if I did don't recall it.

There are very few vehicles that need an NGS or IDS hookup for remote entry programming,the ones I can think of offhand use the RKT type key.
(Key w/ built in transmitter)

*looking over my cheat sheet,programming requirement is unique to model years 98-98.5,successive years have an optional programming mode that includes turning key 4 times within 3 seconds etc...
The only other models with this programming requirement looks to be the Towncar,Continental and LS.
At least on the particular cheat sheet i'm looking at,which goes to 2003 model year.

Last edited by DefEddie; 02-24-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Yah I have a chip or something in my key
I went to a local locksmith to have the key made and he said he would sell me the key, cut the key and program it for 20 bucks. He had this huge handheld device that he connected under my drivers side dash to make the key work.
I wonder if he can set the keyfob? think ill call him!

thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM

RKT and the normal PATS keys are different,RKT means the buttons for the keyless are built into the key-think similar to lexus,mercedes etc..

If he can plug in and program the PATS,it would surprise me if his device didn't also program keyfobs. For $20 it's definately worth asking.

It's $35 minimum for me to plug in here at the dealer,and for diagnosis it goes up to $80 for plug in and diagnosis (depending on issue could be more).

Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Default Key and remote programming

I know this is nearly a decade old, but I just want to post this in case anyone else comes across it that has these old cars like I do.

Keys (even if you only have one...or none) and remotes can be programmed very easily using a program called FORScan and an ELM327 OBDII interface.

I only had one key for my car when I bought it used. I bought a couple of keys on amazon (make sure they're not a clone key and that they have a genuinely unique chip) and reprogrammed my PATS system for the new keys. I also got a couple of remotes off of eBay (make sure it's the right FCC ID or FORD part number) and was able to program them with this software.

To program the keys, be absolutely sure that you have TWO keys. In other words, if you have none, and you only buy ONE, you will NOT be able to start your car. The re-initialization of the PATS module requires that you program TWO keys. Of course, if this is the case, you will probably be getting at least one of the keys directly from the dealer using your VIN or key code to cut the key. Also, if you only have one key and want to reprogram the system to make sure that any old keys anybody may still have won't work...you must have TWO working (cut properly and have chips) keys to program. You can't just remove the key you no longer have.

You will also want to follow the instructions in detail that they give you on their web site to determine if your new key is a valid key (properly working chip) before you attempt programming. If you attempt to reprogram the system and find out that the one key you had is good but the new one has a defective (or none at all) chip, the system will NOT initialize with just one key and because you already wiped out any existing keys, it will no longer start until you get a second working key and do it again.

Good luck and happy programming!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by kb1sph
I know this is nearly a decade old, but I just want to post this in case anyone else comes across it that has these old cars like I do.

Keys (even if you only have one...or none) and remotes can be programmed very easily using a program called FORScan and an ELM327 OBDII interface.

I only had one key for my car when I bought it used. I bought a couple of keys on amazon (make sure they're not a clone key and that they have a genuinely unique chip) and reprogrammed my PATS system for the new keys. I also got a couple of remotes off of eBay (make sure it's the right FCC ID or FORD part number) and was able to program them with this software.

To program the keys, be absolutely sure that you have TWO keys. In other words, if you have none, and you only buy ONE, you will NOT be able to start your car. The re-initialization of the PATS module requires that you program TWO keys. Of course, if this is the case, you will probably be getting at least one of the keys directly from the dealer using your VIN or key code to cut the key. Also, if you only have one key and want to reprogram the system to make sure that any old keys anybody may still have won't work...you must have TWO working (cut properly and have chips) keys to program. You can't just remove the key you no longer have.

You will also want to follow the instructions in detail that they give you on their web site to determine if your new key is a valid key (properly working chip) before you attempt programming. If you attempt to reprogram the system and find out that the one key you had is good but the new one has a defective (or none at all) chip, the system will NOT initialize with just one key and because you already wiped out any existing keys, it will no longer start until you get a second working key and do it again.

Good luck and happy programming!
I have done this with programming a new key with Forscan on a 1998 Grand Marquis but I am unable to find the information regarding programming a FOB with Forscan. Thank you for your help.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:36 AM

I think i should also find locksmith near me to cut and program fob for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Grand Marquis Key Fob keyless remote