Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Keyless Entry Code?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Question Keyless Entry Code?

Does anyone know where to find the combination key pad code (Keyless Entry) on the driver's side door of a 2002 Sable? When I bought the car, the code was missing and it would be nice to have it if I ever lock my keys inside. On my Explorer, the code can be found on the door lock module inside the left rear compartment. I'm guessing it can be found in a similar place on this car.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM

At one time Ford use to put them on the left trunk hinge, but they stopped doing that sometime ago, but I don't know when. I had the same problem with my 09 Mercury, but I just went to the Ford dealer that sold me the car and they got it for me.

I don't know where you bought yours at, but if it was a Ford dealer, I would ask them to get it. If it was a private property, I would contact them.

I wouldn't know if its on the module or not anymore. I have the Grand Marquis.

If worse comes to worse, you may have to pay a dealer to get it for you unless somebody here knows more about it than we do. But that code sure comes in handy when your keys get locked in the trunk.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Default Hope this helps!

I found this information on the Net and is very good info:

1986-2007 Taurus and Sable Keypad Code Location and Programming

If you have a keypad on your driver door and wondering how to make it work, you’ve come to the right place. The keypad is a feature that Ford has been using for the past twenty plus years. You can unlock and lock your car using a special code. You can also pop the trunk or unlock all the doors on the car. You can also lock and arm the alarm (Only 96-07 models) without any use of your keyfob or unlock/lock button inside the vehicle.

There are two types of codes associated with the keypad. There is the computer (master) code, which is the code it was given from the factory and cannot be changed or erased, even if you disconnect the battery. Then there is the personal code. This code is programmed by you. It’s advisable that you never give the master code out to anyone, and it’s probably a good idea to use your personal code. It’s not a bad idea to keep the master code as the “backup” code. Just in case someone happens to figure out your personal code, you can always change it!

To find the code, you should first check in your glovebox. Many people have found the code written down on a piece of paper or inside the owner’s manual. You may have lucked out and found the code on the official Ford card, as shown below, slid in the owners pouch:

If it isn’t there, you now have a fun chore ahead of you.
For finding your code, it’s advisable you bring some tools such as a flashlight and a small mirror (ie. Dentist mirror). A digital camera might help as well if you want to take multiple pictures of the area so you don’t have to strain your body looking for it.

For ALL 1986-1995 Models:

Sedans: Ford stamped the code on the trunk lid bar or the code may be on a sticker on the inside of the trunk lid.
Wagons: For wagons, look on the hatch itself and the frame around the opening. The sticker may be white with pink numbers. The module inside the rear hatch, driver side should have the number as well, written on a white label.
In my vehicle, which is a 1995 Sable Wagon with the third seat option, the code was found under the carpet in the rear passenger side corner of what would have been the spare tire well.
Here is the location of the module:

Note for sedan models: If you go into the trunk, you can see the black, cardboard-looking board that is behind the rear seats. If you pull that back (from the left-hand/driver side) you should see the computer, which should have the code printed on it as well.
For ALL 96-99 Models, look at the three pictures:

Depending on your year, you may or may not have electrical tape covering some or all of the numbers. Be warned if you remove the tape, more than likely the numbers will be removed with the tape. If you have access to something like a hairdryer, you might have better luck at leaving the numbers on the box if you heat that area up a bit before removing the tape.

2000-2001 and some 2002 Sedan models: The keyless entry module was moved, and is now located above and to the left of the brake pedal. You will find it located on the very top of the module itself, almost behind it, on a white piece of paper that is removable. It may come off in pieces, but it is removeable. If you choose to leave the paper in place, you will need a mirror to get up underneath the module and read the numbers. Remember you're reading them backwards!

2002 models: You will find the code stamped on the inner side of the passenger compartment fusebox. It will be in a lighter color writing with 5 digits, possibly yellow. If your 2002 model is equipped with the fusebox above and to the left of the brake pedal, please follow the instructions just above. Note: On my car I found the code on the right side of the fusebox on a yellow piece of paper (like the picture below) in black print with a bar code next to it. My fusebox is located above the brake pedal like the 2000-2001 above.

2003-2007 models: You will find the code embosed on the right side of the module.

On all 1986-2007 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sables: Press anytime the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time, all doors will lock. Type your code then: 3/4 to unlock all doors, 5/6 to open the trunk. Press any button will illuminate the keypad, door locks and interior lights.

Programming private code for the Gen 1996-2007 models:

Step 1. Think of a new code.
Step 2. Enter the Ford factory code.
Step 3. Press 1/2 within five seconds of entering the factory code.
Step 4. Enter the first digit of the new code within five seconds of pressing 1/2. Enter each remaining digit with in five second of the last digit entered. Wait 20 seconds. Try new code.

Aftermarket keypads: The factory keypad is hardwired to the electrical system.

Ford has a new aftermarket keyless entry keypad that uses double sided tape to stick to the cars body. These modules run on the same frequency as the remotes to your car so no wires are needed. They are available for purchase all over the internet and at your local Ford Lincoln-Mercury dealer. Please note, your car must be a 1998 model or newer, and be equipped with factory remote keyless entry for this keypad to work.
And of course…if you can't find it, the dealer can pull the code out of the module with a scan tool. Some may charge for this service, but please remember when the Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer sells you a Taurus or Sable, they should provide you with the factory code along with 2 keys and 2 remotes, as that was the way it came from the factory.
I hope this helps a lot of people.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 AM

I ever lock my keys inside. On my Explorer, the code can be found on the door lock module inside the left rear compartment. I'm guessing it can be found in a similar place on this car.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 AM

Yes, that is correct. See my last post for all Taurus' and Sables below.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Mine does not have it. I have to 2003 Mercury Sable and I looked in the exact place and I have nothing on mine, Ive looked everywhere. Guess I will be paying $50 dollar for one simple code. I wish people would just leave the code in the owners wallet where its suppose to go!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DanMan2424
Mine does not have it. I have to 2003 Mercury Sable and I looked in the exact place and I have nothing on mine, Ive looked everywhere. Guess I will be paying $50 dollar for one simple code. I wish people would just leave the code in the owners wallet where its suppose to go!
I'm sorry to here that... are you sure it is not on the side of the module near the brake pedal? You may need a mirror, flashlight and/or a digital camera to see it (please see the photo below for 2003 - 2007). If you are certain that someone went out of their way to remove the code, then I guess you're screwed. If that were the case, and I were you, I would go to the Ford dealer and ask them if they can look it up for you. I don't know if they can, but I believe that if you have your VIN # handy and proof the vehicle belongs to you, then they would be willing to help.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 AM

Thank you I looked on it before. I think though my module is place differently than what is in the picture. I might take a picture and show you how its placed.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DanMan2424
Thank you I looked on it before. I think though my module is place differently than what is in the picture. I might take a picture and show you how its placed.
Perhaps your 2003 Sable is like the 2002 with the code stamped on the inner side of the passenger compartment fuse-box. My car is a 2002 and is like the 2001. Sorry, I don't have a picture of that design.

Last edited by mtnlovrs; 01-18-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Ok. Now I just need to find it. I used the diagram of the one for a 2003-2007 model year, but it seems my module is position a different way. I can see that type of bar code but not its got stuff in the way I cant even get a dental mirror any farther than a centimeter past that bar code. So I will look for the passenger compartment fuse box then and see if I see a 5 digit code.