Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Blower only works on hi

Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 AM

2002 Sable, automatic climate control (no lo - med - hi control ****, has the +,- digital adjustment)

Intermittnet problem - when I turn car on, all heat is directed through front defrost mode. Air is not really too hot (A problem becase it is 1 deg F outside right now). Blows on hi speed. Turning on/ off the automatic climate control (switching modes, etc) has no effect.

I have removed the glove box to look for resistor but I can''t seem to find one. Does the auto climate control module do the resisting or should I keep looking?

Additionally, the oustide temperature indicator is not reading correctly (about 12 deg too low). This has been a problem for a year now - appears unrelated.

What should I do to fix blower problem?

Thanks, Bob

Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 PM

replace the resistor pack and/or the wire harness going to it. I had the same issue with my 88 with the auto-temp control. the resistor pack controls the speed of the blower motor and is bypassed when on hi. it should be located on the firewall behind the engine near the heater core. (I say should, because that''s where it''s been located on every car I''ve ever worked on, but then I''ve never worked on a car that new.)

as far as the outside temperature sensor, I have no clue where that is or how that works. That does sound like a bad sensor or a corroded connection to the sensor causing higher resistance in line making the temp read wrong.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM

THANKS!

I pulled the part. Where do I get a replacement? Junkyard? Ford? I found a couple different part numbers on it YF3H-19E624-AB, F50F-14B129-AA.

I also borke a fitting for a (vacuum?) small hose that was fastened to the part. I think I''ll get a double ended hose barb to fix that.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM

I got mine from a dealer parts house. if you need the wire harness, you can get those at autozone for a song compared to a dealer. (got mine for $13 and dealer part listed at $60... the resistor pack was $35 I think)

Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Would that explain the inability to select modes/ temp control?

Here''s what I''ve done as of this weekend:<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Replaced the radio/ climate control head unit.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Replaced the Remote Climate Control (RCU) unit.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Replaced the blower controller module.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Checked all obvious fuses. <BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Visually inspected blower relay.<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">Visually inspected wiring as best I could without peeling away tape

Problem still exists

Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM

well, if you''ve replaced everything else and still have the problem, then it must be the one thing that''s left... the resistor pack.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM

and yes, it would prevent you from being able to select auto control... the auto doesn''t always select high fan and if it doesn''t it will see like it''s not working.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM

What resistorpack are you talking about? The vehicles with EATC (like mine) don''t use the standard resistors. Instead, they use a "blower controller". This serves a similar purpose. I just replaced it today with no success.

Please correct me if i''m wrong.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM

then the design has changed since the 90s. my 88 has the ATC and still uses the resistor pack. I guess the E-ATC did away with the resistor pack and embedded it in the blower controller.

I wish I had a wiring diagram to look at, but Autozone seems to be broken at the moment.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Here''s one from a Chilton''s that is very accurate

Sable.zip