Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

turn signal problem ......babaloo09

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Default turn signal problem

Here's an update on the turn signals & hazard lights. The instrument panel has been installed. As my luck would have it, the problem is still there. I'm thinking of cutting my losses and getting rid of the van. Every thing is great about it except the lights..........BUMMER!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM

well that's a bummer.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Post turn signals

Oh well. The old saying goes, when you get lemons, you make lemonade.Or somethig like that. Maybe I can hook them up externaly like I did with my '54 chevy hot rod. Like battery to fuse,to switch, to wires ,to lights. It's something to think about. I'll have to wait 'till warmer weather tho' It's tough out in the snow & cold. What do ya think ?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM

have you tried just pulling the multifunction switch out of the column and cleaning it (maybe even taking the switch apart and cleaning it directly)? I know that with my wife's 93, I had to hose it down pretty good from the hazard switch on top of the column while pressing the hazard switch in and out... but after that we haven't had any issues. You may need to replace that switch too. It sounds like it's a bad contact in the switch and the dealer just misled you.

If you're going to go through all the trouble of rewiring everything, might as well try cleaning/replacing that switch.

Last edited by slymer; 01-19-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I hosed down the hazard switch on the dash board as you suggested, but it didn't help. I'll have to find out how to remove the switch and do that as well. As you can know I've spent a lot cf cash on this already with no result. But I'll keep trying.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM

yeah... try the stuff that doesn't cost anything but time first. and the hazard switch is on the dash and not the column? hmm... must be the re-badged Nissan Quest version. I've heard that those years were crappy. If it's a dash switch, then that is definitely not the problem. that's just a switch. multifunction switch for the blinkers in the column would be the best bet for taking apart and giving a good cleaning. That may be horrendously involved though. hopefully just taking the bottom cover of the column off will allow enough clearance to try to get that switch out and clean it out good.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Talking turn signal problem

T0 whom this may concern. Slymer, I hope you are here as you stuck with me on this. The problem is finally solved. The signals were routed thru the hazard switch (?????). The hazard switch burnt out , which caused the signals to fail. Hard to figure why is was designed that way. I hope this helps someone someday. I now realize....there parts changers & true trouble shooters out there!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Turn signals went completely out. They don't work or make clicking noise. The arrows aren't lighting up on the dashboard either. There isn't any lights flashing on the outside of the car,front or rear when manually flicking the turn stick. Only in the front of the car if the lights are on will it indicate turning. The front end lights will flash if flicked manually. What should i do

Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Smile Front doesn't blink, rear does for a while then buzzes

I had a similar problem. The front turn signals would not blink. The rear turn signals would blink for a few blinks but then the blinker module would start buzzing and they would stop blinking. I replaced the blinker module but it had the same buzzing problem. The hazard button would make all 4 front & back blink. I was baffled. THANKYOU babaloo09 !!!! I didn't think it could possibly be the hazard button but after reading your post I pulled out the button and when I banged on it, the front blinkers started working but then stopped but when I squeezed it they started working again so I definitely think it is the hazard switch. I know where one is at a salvage yard so will be swapping it out. I have been without a front blinker for over a year and you saved me a bunch of money. Sounds like that dealer gave you some real bad advice about the circuit board ground problem. Thanks again!!!