Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Which Transmission?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Default Which Transmission?

I am considering purchasing a 94 Sable. It has less than 100k miles on it and appears to be in good shape other than it is listed as having a transmission problem. I have not looked at it, driven it, or even talked with the dealer yet. It is only $800 and I need a second vehicle which is better on gas than my Jeep.

Anyhoo, I assume it is the 3.0 and not the 3.8, and may just pick up a tranny from a junkyard and swap it in myself. My question is, how do I know which tranny I need to purchase? Also, has anyone swapped a tranny in one of these? I did the tranny on my Jeep and that wasnt too bad. Any advice on swapping this one?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 AM

The transmission should be a 4-speed AX4N, altho if it is an early one it could be the 4-speed AXOD-E. The AX4N is more reliable.

But changing one on a FWD requires special equipment, or someone good at improvising. You have to have a means to hold the engine-transaxle assembly up in the air while you remove the cradle that holds it in place from the car. That is after you have removed the Axle assemblies from the transaxle.

But if you were to have the tranmission rebuilt, the cost of the rebuild + the $800 for the car would be more than the car is worth. That transmission is the reason he is selling it.

But if you have the mechanical skill to do it it is your call. I do have the mechanical skill to do it & even I wouldn't pay $800 for that car. I wouldn't pay more than $300, & even then adding the cost of a rebuild, you would only be breaking even.

I myself would keep looking for another car. Even if you do decide to get a transmission from a junk yard, what assurance do you have that it would be any better than what you have?

Do you need a second vehicle because you need two vehicles, or do you want one to save on the cost of gas.

If you are only buying a second vehicle to save money on gas, by the time you pay for another car, repairs on it, and insurance for it, how far will you have to drive that second vehicle before you save enough on the cost of gas to pay the difference? If you got $2,000 in that second car, and the jeep got only 10 mpg & the Sable only 20 Mpg in town, even with gas at $4.00 a gallon, you would have to drive 7,500 miles or more to break even, then you would still have maintenance & insurance on 2 vehicles. Which means you would have to drive more.

Be sure you run all the numbers before making a decision.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 AM

My question is, how do I know which tranny I need to purchase? Also, has anyone swapped a tranny in one of these. I did the tranny on my Jeep and that wasnt too bad.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 AM

You could call and ask the seller if he knows, but your best bet would be to go and look for yourself - just in case he gives you the wrong info. Look at the "Vehicle Certification (VC) Label" located in the door jam of the driver's door, or on the door itself inside the jam. The "TR" code is for the transmission. A Haynes or Chilton manual should be able to shed some light on it for you.