Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2002 Sable Rough idle and misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Default 2002 Sable Rough idle and misfire

Ok, There are tons of posts on all sorts of these forums about this problem but they never follow through to the fix. I bought my 02 Sable a year and a half ago with loads of problems for very little money. Suspension and body parts replaced were the easy part and now I'm fighting the check engine light. I had a lean condition reported by all four o2 sensors so in changing the PCV valve and tube, injector seals, upper and lower intake gaskets, plugs, wires, and various other vacume tubes that is gone and I'm left with a misfire on the #6 cylinder. Now I want this to be the ignition coil pretty badly because otherwise we're into compression tests and head gaskets or valve jobs which I just don't care to have to do at this point. on a ten year old car with 136K. So I picked up a new coil and I'll likely replace that tomorrow night unless someone here knows better and talks me out of it. Thanks for any help in advance

Jimmy

Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Default update

No advice huh? Well the new coil didn't change a thing, I'm hoping to clean any dust off the new one and get the 80 bucks back and we're looking at an internal problem. I went as far as to buy this killer craftsman compression tester set but while I was delivering my eggs today(I am a farmer) I was thinking about the way it runs and the head gasket just seemed to be the most obvious problem, so I thought to myself I'd try the band-aid fix with a stop leak product and if I get a reprieve from the repairs I will both know the problem for sure, and sneak the car past emissions testing for state inspection until I have the time to pull the heads and replace the gaskets. I used the bars leak copper stuff and idled the car earlier, it's cooled down now and I'm going to drive to the next town over to get some jerky at the gas station/(insert any excuse to drive the thing for a couple miles). I'll post again when I know anything definate for anyone interested. On a side note I really thought the head gasket problem was back on the older 3.8 motors