Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

what weight oil to use???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:59 AM

This is my second post to this forum and my 3rd day here. Could someone be kind enough to tell me what oil works best in these engines. I have a 1994 Grand Marquis GS.

What kind of oil, and how much of it? 4 quarts, 5?

Thank you in advance

Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Well, my 06 requires 5w-20. I bet yours will do fine on a 10w30.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 AM

Thank you... Ill use 10w30... conventional because i've got 160,000 miles on the car. Thank you

Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Your welcome. You might want to research the Penzoil high-mileage oil. I used it in my 88 caddy with 194,000 milesand it did fine.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

I don't have a laboratory in order to be able to state which one works best.

I would always use the recommended ones. I did that my whole life, and never had any issues like others do, who experiment. Here are some handbook details, sounds like you don't even have an owners manual for your car:

&gt;

Always use a high quality detergent motor oil. To determine an oil's quality and viscosity, look for the American Petroleum Institute (API) symbol on the oil container label. The highest quality oil currently available carries the API Service rating "SG". Look for the letters "SG" alone or in combination with other letters such as "SG/CC" or "SG/CD". An oil rated "SC", "SD", "SE" or "SF" is not acceptable for use in your car's engine.

For maximum fuel economy, look for an oil that carries the words "Energy Conserving II" in the API symbol. This means that the oil contains friction reducing additives that help reduce the amount of fuel burned to overcome engine friction.

Ford Motor Company recommends using either SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30 oil. SAE 5W-30 should be used if you anticipate the ambient temperature in which you'll be driving to fall below 0°F (-18°C) but not go higher than 100°F (38°C) during the period before your next oil change. SAE 10W-30 should be used if you anticipate the temperature in which you'll be driving to be between 0°F (-18°C) and 100°F (38°C) and above, during the period before your next oil change.

See Figure 2

Fig. 2: An example of the API Symbol

Greetings!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Thank you.

You are right 92mercury... the car comes to me with some bangs and bruises along with its past.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 AM

So did mine, some I can get off fairly easy, other ones are quite harder to fix.

Regarding the engine oil, I never really paid attention to the "Energy Conserving" label. Besides that it's hard to get (even at a dealership), it was mainly an attempt back in the old days when there was a fuel crisis.

And this label only means that the oil has friction parts in it, supposedly to have parts move with less friction. Sort of like some of the additives you can buy.

I use "normal" oil, and can't say that I'm burning more gas than with the "EC" one.

Greetings!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:38 PM

noticed this 03 says 5w20. thought 5w30 was the norm til read the book [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2007, 02:42 AM

There is really no "norm", maybe just a viscosity which is generally used.

The viscosity determines how well oil performs at certain temperatures. The lower the first grade is, the thinner the oil is at colder temperatures, means it flows quicker and easier. the second grade determines it for higher temperatures. The oil stays thicker so that the film wont get interrupted.

That's why race cars use oil with a very high upper viscosity. Any interruption in the oil stream would cause immediate damage.

So you can always go a step lower or higher. And at the end: Remember, these specs where written 10 years ago. Meanwhile, engineering and development has changed. Yeah, so did the gas prices.

Greetings!