Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

airbag beepin maybe? really annoying!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM

As per Alldata

2001 MGM Lamp Flash Code 19 (Body Code B2293)
"Restraint System- Airbag Status Driver Front Airbag Circuit Failure"

The short definition is that there is a break in the circuit between the air bag itself on the steering wheel and the restraint control module (RCM).. Most likely the problem is the "clock spring"..

Let me get some of the diag info together and I can post it up here for you...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxfax3
As per Alldata

2001 MGM Lamp Flash Code 19 (Body Code B2293)
"Restraint System- Airbag Status Driver Front Airbag Circuit Failure"

The short definition is that there is a break in the circuit between the air bag itself on the steering wheel and the restraint control module (RCM).. Most likely the problem is the "clock spring"..

Let me get some of the diag info together and I can post it up here for you...

Thanks beforehand, max
is the "clockspring" a DIY or Pro job?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 PM

depeds on if you need to remove it or not. special tools are required.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Unhappy

Hey Max,
Got the clockspring changed today....IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM....$150 down the tube to nowhere but at least I got a new clockspring.....Mechanic says it's the seatbelt...a short not closing the loop.....Is this a DIY?? Can I check the problem myself?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Sorry about that, had I gotten around to get the diag posted we could have tested that for sure.. IN the 40 some pages of diag info on that code, there is a section pertaining to the seat belt system.. Generally though seat belt issues are lamp code 33/34 for the pre tensioners, and 51/52 for the buckle switch.. At least now that it has been read with a scan tool you can be sure..

Did he specify if it was the switch in the seat belt buckle, or the seat belt pre-tensioner? My educated guess would be it's a failed pre tensioner but as you know I have been wrong before.. (Sorry again!)

You may want to check as there was a recall issued on some early 2001 Grand Marquis, Town Car, Crown Vic, and Windstars pertaining to the restraint system.. Apparently a flaw in the module could activate an airbag or pretensioner upon startup...

AS far as checking the seat belt buckle switch, there should be a plug at the base of the buckle with 2 wires.. You will need some means of checking for continuity.. (an ohm meter would work) With the seat belt connected the switch in the buckle should be closed (or on)..

Testing the pre tensioner is a tad different.. The pre tensioner is part of the seat belt retractor assembly.. It contains an explosive charge... Since you don;t want to risk deploying the thing hooking it up to an ohm meter is a BAD idea.. First and foremost the air bag system woudl have to be deactivated before connecting/disconnecting anything (unhook the battery and wait 10 mins) The procedure is generally to check the harness itself between the control module and the pre tensioner.. If the harness checks okay there is a shunt that plugs in to where the pre tensioner connects and simulates it for the control module.. The procedure there is to install the shunt and see if the code goes away.. If the code does clear it's the pre tensioner, if not it's the module... They of course are not real specific about what's in teh shunt (my guess is a resistor of a similar value to the pre tensioner)

Replacing the buckle is pretty easy.. Unbolt and unplug the buckle, reverse to install.. The bolt is to take a special socket but IIRC a large torx bit will work on them..

THe pretensioner is a bit more involved.. Deactivate the airbag (unhook battery and wait 10 mins).. The panel over the B-post that the seat belt retractos is behind has to be removed.. The loop at the top of the b-post where the should strap goes though, the end of the belt near the floor, and the retractor assembly need to be unbolted.. These all have the funky bolt as well.. There will also be a 2 wire plug to disconnect...

Last edited by maxfax3; 12-13-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM

i know this is an old thread, but is there a connector i can disconnect in order to STOP the beeping?? i love my car and how it looks and everything about it but this beeping is making me not want to even drive it! its ok if it doesn't work but i just want to STOP THE BEEPING

Last edited by srch4aresn; 06-04-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Does anyone know where the airbag audio alarm is? Can it be disabled?
92 Grand Marqius / I just bought the car and the airbag light was flashing so I thought I would outsmart the system and take the bulb out, now it beeps. I really hate to be bested by a car. I am an old school guy and have driven old Chevy trucks all my life. This is the newest car I have ever owned, I dont need an airbag, and am not interested in getting it fixed. I just want the beeping to go away.