Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Battery Question Optima VS. Top of the line anything else!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Default Battery Question Optima VS. Top of the line anything else!

what's up fellow grand marquis owners...i want to upgrade my big 3 upgrade my alternator and also put a solid battery on as well...obviously for a decent system no more really than 2000 watts i think i should be holding it steady at like 1700 watts or so...anyway the question is ...if i am upgrading the alt and doing the big 3...is an optima really needed...cant i just do a duralast or interstate...basic battery?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:59 AM

The Optima is a fine battery that produces good power under a variety of conditions, but is especially good for off-road use, where the battery may be turned sideways or upside-down during off-road maneuvers and/or hill-climbing.
I have used Optima batteries in 2 Toyota Land Cruisers with excellent results.

HOWEVER ---

The open-top, refillable, standard-type lead-acid battery is ideal for street-highway use, due to 3 important points:
1.- Battery charge condition for each individual cell can be checked with a hydrometer.
2.- Water level for each individual cell can be adjusted and maintained.
3.- Weak cells can be identified BEFORE battery goes completely dead, allowing time for the battery to be replaced.

Regardless of battery type, the best all-around performance will be had by selecting a battery which has the highest "Cold-Cranking" rating and the longest "Reserve Power" rating that's available for the size battery that fits into the vehicle's battery box.

Another important consideration is WHERE you buy the battery -- avoid gas stations and auto repair shops, where the battery may sit for many months before it is purchased.
Go to a high-volume auto center, such as Wal-Mart, where the batteries will be fresh and longer-lasting.
Most batteries come with a "Date Sticker" on the side of the battery that indicates the Month and Year of the battery's manufacture.

Currently, I'm running a Duralast Gold (size-58) in my '95 Grand Marquis restoration. I chose the Duralast Gold (AutoZone) for the high Cold-Cranking-Amps, high Reserve Capacity, and the Free-Replacement Warranty.
According to Consumer Reports Magazine, the Wal-Mart automotive batteries are the most powerful and longest-lasting of the batteries tested.
I replaced a dead Interstate battery with a Wal-Mart battery (size 24) in our Land Cruiser -- VERY satisfied with the price and excellent performance of the battery un der demanding conditions..

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-12-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add Content