Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

99 grand marquis tie rod mix up

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Default 99 grand marquis tie rod mix up

Has anyone ever heard of this happening, it's definitely new to me lol. So almost two years ago I had brought my 99 Grand Marquis to one of the local shops to have some front end work done. I got them to replace all ball joints, sway bar links and inner / outer tie rods. Easy enough you would think. Yesterday i brought my car in to a different mechanic, been going to him now for a year or so, great honest guy. So i had to get new sway bar links installed and the drivers side outer tie rod. My mechanic order the parts and they were delivered. The part supplier sent the wrong tie rod, he sent the inner, so we though. Now i do know a lot about cars and can do alot of work myself, until I killed my back that is. Anyways I was looking at tie rods on the car and I was thinking, hmmm something isn't right here. Long story short, we discovered that the garage that did the tie rods last time had put them on backwards, the inners were used as outers and vise versa. I couldn't believe it, i was thinking wtf lol. So due to my limited time i had cause i had to go to work, my mechanic just put the new inner tie rod on as an outer to get me going, the car is going back in so we can correct the problem. I just can't believe that this happened, luckily the car seems fine, but still , its so not right lol. My Father has a 98 Grand Marquis, almost identical to my 99 and he always told me that he thinks the steering in his was much easier and smoother than mine, all i can think is that perhaps the fact the my tie rods aren't right, this may be why his is better that way. I will soon find out when we fix the problem.
I just thought i would share this, i find it kinda funny, but maddening at the same time.