Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

96 sable 3.o duratech. question/s

Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Just bought this car about a month ago. for a grand. 126,xxx miles. battery was dead replaced it. noticed when its dark an at idle the lights dim, but when i apply gas they brighten.. went to mechanic got my alternator checked battery put like 12v or whatever at idle with nothing on ie radio lights.. he said it could just be cuz its a brand new battery bla bla bla. or prelude to alternator going out.Sometimes after driving it for 30 minutes or so i''ll stop put it in park without turning it off and ill be waiting for someone or something an it''ll just die.. wondering what that is about?

And occasionally the door/car symbol that says a door is open will just come on in the dashand the doors wont lock or whatever, so wonder what that is..? it''ll leave the interior lights on when i drive so I just unplugged every bulb assosciated with that cuz it annoyed me pretty good.

And i was also wondering if someone could help me find a suspension upgrades or whatever for this, i dont know much about mercury. only after market stuff i could find for this is K&n air filters... is there no market?

Thanks-mat

Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM

looks like you unfortunately bought someone else''s problem. the dimming issues sounds like a voltage regulator or loose cables from the alternator to the battery. The door open issue is probably a bum light switch in the door jam.

Check out www.summitracing.com

They have lots of bolt on parts for most any vehicle. It''ll give you a good idea of what''s out there and maybe something to price around and see what deals you can get (though summit''s prices are usually really good). Quick glance shows me that summit''s got a good selection of suspension parts for the sable. You could potentially make that a pretty stout corner hugger. probably have to do a lot of weight reduction first though.