Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Transfer Case

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Default Transfer Case

I am new to this forum, as I just purchased my Mercury Mountaineer. So I am saying "hi" and also asking a question.

I recently bought an 05 Mercury Mountaineer used from a trusted dealer. Actually he's a good friend of the family. The SUV is in awesome shape, drives smoothly and everything... except, it made a clinking noise once in a while, and on occasion would act as if the drivetrain was going to drop right out of the vehicle. I was a meter reader and went through a few transmissions before, and it felt like my Mountaineer was about ready to drop the tranny during those moments.

I took it back and my friend drove it for a day and finally felt the same thing and determined that there was no fluid left in the transfer case. He's replacing the entire transfer case due to damage.

My question, after that long intro, is should I worry about damage to the transmission or drivetrain due to the transfer case? In other words, should I worry about additional damage that may have been caused due to the transfer case problem I had?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

probably just worn clutches in the trans and at worst maybe some extra wear on the bands (if it's an automatic - just extra wear on the clutch plate if it's a standard). unless the truck lurched hard or locked up the wheels during any of this, I doubt an automatic trans would be hurt.