Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Mercurys, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Started bodywork on girlfriends car...

Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 86 vic
hey i was wondering if those taillights on that red crown vic could fit the other crown vics by jst changing out the tail lights piece

edit: im not just talking about the tail light glass but the whole tail light assembly with a little of the body part that bolts inside of the trink. also would you be willing to paint my car black if i get everything and come up there where you at if so how much will you charge
the tail lights should be interchangable but i think bolt holes dont match up quite right... i can double check since i have a pair of 1987 2 doors and an exra 88-91 tail light.

exactly where are you from and what color is your car? i am in process of setting up my garage to do paint and bodywork. the car you see was done at a friends place and the car you see above was my first paintjob. now pricing will be the costly part... you will need 5 or 6 rolls of tape for this, paint, and clear if wanted. gonna take a gallon of primer and thinner that gets mixed with it. there would be much sanding and blocking the car out to make sure dents dont show since black is terrible for that. in all it would take a few weeks to get the car done and painted the right way. i may have just learned to do paintjobs, but i know it would probably be around $500 or so in supplies alone. i would probably just charge $400 or so for the labor. the supplies are what can kill the cost on a paintjob project.

the paint we used on my girlfriends car was $200 for the gallon of her paint which was medium cabbernet metallic, $40 for the marblizer quart, $50 for the transparent metallic candy red quart, clear was another $75 or so, gallon of primer would be roughly $60 or so, sand paper of different grits can get expensive the finer the grit you get, cant forget a gallon of body filler, and dent pulling studs to pull any dents. we opted on her car to yank the lower rocker trim, grind the rivots, filled with JB Weld, and sprayed bed liner on to avoid dirt buildup between rocker and cover. as mentioned... supplies are the big cost.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM

im gonna take some pics today and post them but my paint and body is near perfect the trunk and hood are the only bad places i know the trunk will be the only thing that needs to be reprimeed due to cracks hood has a surface rust about the size of a dime and oh yeah i have a rust spot on the piler on the driver side that the windsheld connects to i know they are just surface rust cause i sanded it down a lil bit and seen metal but since then rerusted over but the paint still looks glossy

and im in chattanooga, tn

heres some pics of it with some engine pics

http://img269.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=0415090951.jpg

Last edited by 86 vic; 06-30-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

you are saying you would come to Nebraska for a paint hob on your car?

i am guessing the gallon of black paint would be around $100, primer is a must since i would want the car to be as straight as possible not showing any faint dents if painted black. you would have to spend roughly $300 - $400 in supplies to get the materials... then add in my labor. all depends on what you want done to the car to make it standout or just straight black paint. looks like you need a air tube like i have... here are pics of what my girlfriends engine looks like on how i modded hers...

Name:  S6300244.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  103.3 KB

Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 PM

i didnt know you live in Nebraska never mind i could just get one around here

ive got the stock ram air kit that sucks air through the grill, and comes through the stock air filter container i just didnt put a stock air filter in it. until i could get one of them how much did it cost you to get that air tube.

did you find out if the 88-91 tail light assembly bolt will fit my 86

Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 86 vic
i didnt know you live in Nebraska never mind i could just get one around here

ive got the stock ram air kit that sucks air through the grill, and comes through the stock air filter container i just didnt put a stock air filter in it. until i could get one of them how much did it cost you to get that air tube.

did you find out if the 88-91 tail light assembly bolt will fit my 86

the air intake setup i got cost me around $30 off of ebay... since the price has gone up some for the type i had.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories

the tail light setup would take a couple changes. you would have to change trunklid too due to the curve of the newer style. have you thought of painting/modding your existing lights? here is a way i painted mine.
Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  taillight1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM

thanks and i thought i would have the last time i went to the junkyard near my house told me that all i would have to do was get them and it would bolt up as is but i didnt belive them cause they dont know much first time i got somthing form them it was an interior piece for a 84 box chevy caprice and they broke it taking it out so i just go up and take eveything out my self but im going to do the same thing to the taillights cause thats going to give me a different look

Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Smile 86 grand marquis

Looks identical to the one I just bought. It is fully loaded, and the only part i need is the exact same door and if u find an extra 1 , plz let me know at aaron33445@ hotmail.com. I live in fort worth texas

Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Good job on this car. I'm jealous!