Go Back   Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums > Vehicle Line Up > Grand Marquis
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Default Headlites wont come on all other lites do!

I have a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis the other night noticed headlites did not seem to be on while driving home. Interior dash lites were on, turn signals were on, the corner lights were on just the headlites were not on.

By moving the high beam lever the high beam comes on but will not stay on. I have checked the fuse and it is good. I have installed a new headlight and no change.

With the lights in auto position all other lights come on. In manual all other lights come on. Problem is just with the headlights.

I am thinking the headlight switch is messed up but then I have heard some comments about a lighting control module. Dont know where that is at. Any advice appreciated...chuck
Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 PM

More than likely your LCM (lighting control module) has a failed relay.

You can get a 'rebuilt' module off eBay exchanged for a reasonable cost (about $200), or buy a new LCM from Ford for about $600.

You can also swap the LCM relay yourself if you are handy and can solder; see link below:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...02#Post1437302

Let us know how you make out, Bill
Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I tried the link but I have to register first. I am waiting for approval. Just lucky we dont have to drive at night. So we can get by until I manage to get the car fixed. Thanks for your input...chuck
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Go figure on this one. My wife just called me and said her headlight were working again. She had a little bear hanging off of the rear view mirror. She took it off and notice the convering needed straightening. She did that and the headlights work as they should. She locked the car with the remote and the headlights reacted as they should. We will check it out further when she gets home...chuck
Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Same Headlight Problem

I have a 2003 grand marquis and have the same problem as chuckjones. They would not come on, then they worked, now they do not work. The manual brights work. Was your problem ever resolved?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Funny about those headlights. My wife had a little animal (toy of course) hung from the rear view mirror. She removed it one day and messed with the wires going into the rear view mirror and the headlights started working again. Everything worked as it should. Then they quit again and we havent gone any further with the search. Hope this helps...it worked for a week or so...
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Had a prob on 1998 GM with turn signals acting up, clicking irregularly, and similar prob with headlights. Finally replaced turn signal lever and wiper control assy! No more problems.. Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 AM

I second the Lighting Control Module. It really sucks that all of those lighting elements have to run through such an expensive little box. Maybe you could go to a junkyard and pull one out of a wreck to try. Just convince the clerk it's a turn signal flasher, haha.

Best of luck
Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 PM

You can actually improve the front headlights brightness, and reliability by using a plug and play LCM by pass harness from SUV lights.com

There is just too much current for that little LCM to handle over long periods. It is underdesigned. The suvlights.com harness works in parallel with the LCM.

You LCM will last forever with this upgrade.

As soon as my 2009 Grand Marquis is out of the 3/36 warranty I am buying the suvlights.com harness.

Good Luck, Bill
Old 09-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Tags
2003, 2005, control, grand, headlights, lcm, lebaron, lighting, marquis, mercury, module, rebuilt, remanufactured, swapping, wont