Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Cd player info and questions. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Question Cd player info and questions. . .

Hello, I'm new to the Mercuryforum.com and I just recently got a 92 Mercury Grand Marquis. I have the stock radio in it now and everything is all origanal. But ever since I've had my licence I've always had a after market cd player, anyways since I don't have a cd player in it now, I plan to get either a aftermarket radio or a factory Ford cd player or Mercury cd player that will fit in there perfectly. Does anyone know what model car comes with a cd player that will fit into my Grand Marquis perfectly with out modification? Also how do I know if my car has the factory amp installed? If My car does have a factory amp will I be able to install a aftermarket cd player? If I can hook up a aftermarket cd player will I need a installation kit? Also does anyone have pictures of thier cd players in there car?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

i go to walmart and get the wiring kit for car specified... on these cars i use the power wiring to power the radio and run new lines to speakers... you might be able to use the speaker part of the wiring kit, but car i just did stereo in i ran new lines to rear speakers after removing back seat and also installed new rear speakers. car i did this to had factory amp in it so the wiring kit provided i couldnt use from kit. i hacked into the wires in the trunk and ran speaker lines from stereo to wires running out of the amp that worked door speakers. i can help out more if you get the kit and try to use the wiring to install it first to see if it powers the speakers... if speakers dont work after hooking it up, you most likely have factory amp and need to hack the wiring like i did and i can tell you how to do so

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM

After finally replacing the stock headunit in my '93 Grand Marquis last year, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

If you have a the stock headunit still, get the Ford Radio Removal tools from Walmart, Autozone or the like. Push them in until they lightly 'click' and then pull the radio out. If you push them in too far, it won't budge.

While you're at the store, pick up your aftermarket headunit and wiring harness adapter.

The dash doesn't need any DIN adapters or dash kits, so you can just slide the aftermarket headunit's cage into the dash and bend a few tabs to hold it in place.

Wire the radio's harness to the harness adapter. Should be color coded and easy enough for a monkey to do.

Plug the radio into the harness and test it first. If all is well, neatly shove all the wires in and out of the way and slide the headunit in.

If your radio came with a bezel, snap it on.

Now, 87 crown vic, I agree that replacing the wires to the speakers is a good idea, but not as necessary as replacing the stock speakers. The wires are wires, especially if you're not going into any competitions.

A really nice speaker set for the 92-94 Grand Marquis can be had for under $60 if you find some good deals. The rear speakers are 6"x9"s and the front door speakers are Ford/Mazda specific "6x8"s. They're a little more hard to come by, but 5"x7"s will be fine and usually come with a little adapter for 6"x8" openings.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Cool Cool, I already have a ford head unit removal tools. I just need to know if the speakers will work if I have a Factory amp. I know Ford use Factorty amps alot in some of there luxury cars. I am unsure if I have a Factory amp but idk. I'll find out. Thanks for the information it's really helpful.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM

The stock speakers will work, but you'll blow them in no time if you like a lot of bass and a lot of volume...

Don't know much about the stock amps, never seen one really. I don't think the '92 and up Grand Marquis had them, but don't quote me on that.