Tracer Discuss the Mercury Tracer here...

New T/O Bearing bad already?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Default New T/O Bearing bad already?

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience or would know what is going on with my Throw Out Bearing issue.

It all started one day when I got home and I had the clutch pedal pressed in as I coasted in my driveway to park. There was a loud and distinct clacking and clanking noise and I could feel it in the pedal. I knew right away it had to be my T/O bearing.

I ordered a whole new clutch kit from Napa. I pulled the transmission and it was as I expecte, the throwout bearing was indeed bad. It fell apart in my hands. I replaced the clutch and installed the provided T/O bearing from Napa. Got everything together and it ran fine. No noises, no issues, clutch worked flawlessly. I broke in the clutch and babied it since just cause.

Well, yesterday I get in my car to go to work and the noise is back and I have only put 750 miles on it. I have never seen or heard of a T/O bearing ****ting the bed this quickly.

Is it possible my slave is getting weak and (with full pressure applied to the pedal) there may be a little slack on the bearing allowing it to rattle? If my extensive rebleed doesn't do it, I'm going to replace the slave cylinder and hope it stops. I'm not looking forward to pulling the transmission again so soon.

-John

1999 2.0L Mercury Tracer

Last edited by Jhabitat; 05-08-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM

John, Can you get an eyeball on the T/O bearing from underneath? Even if you rode the clutch for the whole 750 miles, the T/O bearing shouldn't go bad that quickly. T/O bearing should get noisy when you apply pressure to it if it is bad.
Corky