Villager Discuss the Mercury Villager here...

turn signal problem ......babaloo09

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Question turn signal problem ......babaloo09

When switching the directioals left or right, the flasher makes a buzzing sound and the lights don't work. the hazards will work & the flasher makes the normal clicking sound I've checked all the bulbs, sockets and fuses, they're o.k. HELP!!! ........Bob Booth

Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Ooops, I forgot to say it's my '93 villager.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM

the flasher for the hazards is actually on the back side of the fuse box. The flasher for the blinkers is the one on the front that you can see. That's beside the point though. Sounds like there's a contact issue in the blinker switch in the column. You may be able to clear it up be hosing it down with contact cleaner (you may need to remove the column cover to really get at it). You might try just swapping in a new flasher since they're cheap and see if that fixes it (or swap the flasher from the hazards around front to the blinker location to test). If the swap doesn't work, then it's probably the multi-function switch contacts.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Default babaloo09

I replaced the flasher twice with new ones to no avail. That was the one just above the gas pedal. The Haynes manual said that the '93 turn signal & hazards used the same flasher. But I never thought to look behind the fuse panel on the left side. If it doesn't rain or snow tomorrow, I'll try the switch cleaner. Thanks Slymer. I'll let you know.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM

ah... I guess that changed in 93. Then it's definitely the switch in the column. We had the switch problem with the hazards on the crown vic my wife drives. Contact cleaner sprayed down the hazard switch on the column (it's on top on that car) and then hose out the multifunction switch the blinker arm is connected to, and it sorted it.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Default To Slymer

I finally got to try the contact cleaner on the steering column switch. It didn't help. A friend suggested that it might be a bad ground, perhaps one going into the flasher. What would be your opinion of that? I appreciate your input about that?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM

it could be a loose wire somewhere along the line (grounds included). but since it uses a single flasher for both the blinkers and the hazards, it has to be something with the blinker switch or the wire harness connecting to it in the column or the wires on back to the fuse box or the grounding strap (wherever that is). The flasher is connected good all around if the hazards are working right. you might also try hosing out the hazard switch with contact cleaner since part of it's job is to disable/enable the blinker switch.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Unhappy turn signal update

I took the villager to a Ford dealer to see if they could figure this thing out. The mechanic told me it was a grounding problem in the circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster. He said it was unfixable and wouldneed to be replaced. Trouble is that Ford no longer has any in inventory. If I could find a used one, it would have to be exactly the same. It's a digital unit, not analog. After the Cash for Clunkers program the chance of finding one will hard. I checked the local junk yards & it was a dead end. ..........BUMMER !

Old 12-24-2009, 08:52 PM

I could probably fix the board myself actually. Unfortunately, I'm in Texas. If it was simply a ground short from something, putting some electrical tape between the board and the casing at that point would solve the problem. If it's a chip problem, you' have to replace the chip. I do know that www.everdrive.com probably has it (though they are NOT cheap about rare parts).

http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=1195437 $199 USED Digital Cluster (Picture on this page is NOT the correct image and just a stock photo)

Last edited by slymer; 12-24-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: bah... typos
Old 01-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi slymer, Happy new year to you & everyone out there in cyber land. I called that outfit you told me about, they're sending me the part. I hope it solves the problem. I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: turn signal problem ......babaloo09