Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Default Struts

Hello, I have a general question. I have a 2002 Mercury Cougar. I took my car to a mechanic, they told me I need new front struts. No big deal, I can do that myself. However, then they tell me I need the Alignment Caster / Camber changed, if I change the Struts. I am puzzled, why would that be required ?
Thank you

Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Default Cougar Struts

Whenever springs, shocks, or struts are replaced -- or new tires are purchased, a "computerized" wheel alignment is both recommended AND necessary.
Wheel alignment is CRITICAL on modern suspension systems, and the "old-timey" wheel alignment methods just don't cut it.
I'm sure you've noticed that tires are very expensive -- and poor wheel alignment eats tires like crazy.
Spend your money on a quality "computer" alignment -- and ask for a "before & after" printout. The printout lets YOU see exactly what needed to be done -- and the results of their work.
I've had very good service from Goodyear tire stores -- excellent alignment at reasonable prices.
Actually, wheel alignment effects steering, cornering, braking, and traction -- and a quality wheel alignment will improve both safety and tire life.
Good Luck !!

Old 04-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Thank you for your Reply. The Alignment on the car appears to be actually pretty good right now. The tires show no wear, it handles and brakes well. The only issue I see is, the boot cover on one of the struts is broken. There is also a small sticking (when turning) in the steering (the mechanic mentioned that's because of the strut). By changing the front struts, that shouldn't require an alignment though, right ?