Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Cougar (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/)
-   -   Cam Upgrade (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/cam-upgrade-2789/)

Cougar94 03-08-2009 12:38 AM

Have 94 XR-7 4.6l. Was wondering if i can use cams off a 2002 mustang gt?

slymer 03-11-2009 12:54 PM

technically it's the same block I think. you may have to replace the heads with the ones from the mustang as well since SOHC heads will not accommodate a DOHC setup. You will also have to change the timing chain/belt, covers, valves, guides, rockers, and maybe even the fuel injection matrix. It would probably be better to get a performance cam made for your engine than to Frankenstein it with the 2002 gt.

maxfax3 03-13-2009 09:40 PM

I believe the GT was still single overhead cam.. The Cobra got teh DOHC engine.. I know they changed the head around 1996 as far as port design.. Not sure how much may have changed for the cams.. I would bet they would physically fit in there, but the valve springs and followers could be different.

What all have you done to your car so far?? Before even considering cams you'll need everything else to breath well like the exhaust and intake.. Otherwise the cam's won;t do you too much.. I'm not sure what is out there for exhaust systems.. I had a custom bent true dual exhaust with high flow cat converters, and shorty headers.. (Those headers were a B***** to get in there too!) The intake side of things a are pretty anemic on these cars too.. A cold ait intake of some variety to eliminate that darned air silencer is a nice help.. Makes sure that if you use a cone style air filter that it is a dry type and not the kind that you oil.. The oil plays heck on a MAF..

Gears are another good place to work from on these cars.. Considering the MN-12 T-Bird/Cougar weigh in at around 4000 lbs and the 4.6 likes to rev lower gears will do wonders.. My T-Bird had 3.23's which worked about perfect for me.... Some of these cars had 2.79 gears which were okay for economy and highway cruising, but crappy for quick acceleration..

A shift kit also gives these cars a nice feel. I've had excellent results with the B&M kit.. Install the towing/HD version as the street strip version is a bit annoying for a daily driver....

I never got around to trying out a programmer on this car as I was pretty satisfies with the exhaust, intake, and shift kit.. I'm sure a Hypertec or some variety of programmer could do wonders for you..

The later 4.6 (1996 and up) had better ports on the heads and I think the same cams as the 02 GT.. You would have to use the newer style intake which could cause some clearance issues.. The '96 and 97 models had an extra dent on the bracing insdie the back of the hood for everything to clear...

I've also been told that a 5.4 with the intakes from an Econoline series will fit under a stock hood, but I believe that is on the 96 - 97 models... I remeber seeing pics at Thunderbird Cougar Club of America years ago of such a project...

Cougar94 03-25-2009 07:45 PM

Went with sohc comp cams as for intake I have a cool air intake with a port and polished 75mm throttle body. As for exhaust have stock headers but 2 1/2 in piping and high flow cat. made it with parts out my garage thats why no headers yet. As for a shift kit I'm eliminating the AODE tranny and putting in a borg warner t-5. The gears I will get when I swap out trannies. Haven't installed cams yet just waitin for some time. Looks to be a bitch. Next step is feul was wondering if any body new if 5.0 injectors would be better not to sure on injector sizes.

maxfax3 03-25-2009 10:08 PM

Sounds like you got intake and exhaust under way.. You'll definitely want a gear change with the 5 speed, but it ought to work pretty nice... You may want to think about a driveshaft upgrade, especially if you plan on ditching the speed limiter at any time.. THe factory drive shaft is basically 2 pieces crimped together, not very stong and alot of the reasoning behind the 105mph speed limiter... Threw alot of U-Joints out of my ole 5.8 (Now 6.5 liter) Cougar until I had a new one made.... Apparently they weren;t balanced all that well...

Changing the cams isn't too terribly difficult.. (Easier than pulling the heads) Remove the valve covers and pretty much everything off the front of the engine to get the timing cover off.. Inspect the chain tensioners and shoes while you're in there.. They weren't real troublesome on the 4.6 but if you have a fair amount of miles on it, you're already right at them......... Get a repair manual if you don;t have one already...

As far as injector sizing the 5.0 and the 4.6 both generally use the 19lb/hr injectors (yellowish orange tops) The DOHC 4.6 used 24lb/hr injectors (light blue tops) as did the 7.5L, the 5.8 in the lightning and 95 Mustang Cobra and some other various engines and models..... Not sure if all the injectors are the same impedance though...

With an injector change plan on upgrading to a higher flow fuel pump too.. You will also need a MAF sensor matched to the higher flow injectors, or some re turning done to the ECM.. Otherwise it will overfuel... You probably won;t gain much from the injector change till you do the cams though...

I would imagine some headers would be a big help, the factory manifolds are kinda pathetic.. Although thouse are a real PITA to change...

Cougar94 03-26-2009 01:38 PM

Lookin into headers as well as a driveshaft. 5 speed has been put on hold temporarily waiting for parts. Not many Super Coupe locally to steal parts. have the bell housing and clutch pedal assembly waiting on brakes and cross member. Found the gears I want for bout 250 so will get when ready for 5 Speed swap. Went with Cross drilled and slotted rotors for braking and full ceramic pads. Worked out great. Looking to upgrade calipers next. As well for the speed limiter I wasn't aware that it had one mine must be broke because I've burried the needle plenty times and rpm's still climbing.

maxfax3 03-26-2009 07:25 PM

The brakes on these cars are rather small for the weight and power.. Heck I went though rotors constanly on a stock 3.8 car..
Rumor has it the Super Coupe had larger brakes all the way around and they had to use 16" wheels on them.. I haven;t verified that for sure... I run cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads on my 89 and wow what an upgrade...

Has your car ever had a chip or anything?? The speed limiter is part of the powertrain computer.. When it sees a speed over 105 it is supposed to shut the injectors off until the speed drops.. The exclusions to the 105mph were the super coupes, some Mustangs, and cop cars...

Cougar94 03-26-2009 08:01 PM

No it has never been chipped. Can do speeds over 120 on freeway so assumed it wasn't equipped with a limiter. Maybe a malfunction in the system but it works for me. I know for a fact that it has never had anything performance wise done to it prior to what I'm doing now. Was thinking of using Cobra brakes but decided against it to much work and alot of money part's weren't to easy to find locally neither. Planning on sizing up brakes later on down the road not looking to have to change rims just yet.

maxfax3 03-27-2009 12:05 AM

That's what you call a good malfunction.. The day I bought my 94 T-Bird I had it out on the PA Turnpike to see what it could do.. Hit 105 and it just sat there and surged.. (Kinda POed since the speedo was makred to 120) Called the dealer then verified on the net.. My 97 T-Bird and both Grand Marquis were the same... I guess some of the reasoning behind this was the crappy driveshafts, they just couldn't take the high RPMs and the U-joints woudl crap out.. You got lucky somehow..

I think what you have for brakes ought to be adequate.. I have brembo rotors (dimple drilled, not cross drilled... eh) and I think bendix ceramic pads all the way around on the 89 Cougar with the 6.5L.. Stock calipers but with all new components and dot 5 brake fluid.. (I used the dot 5 moreso because it has less of a tendancy to absorb water and destory the brake system from sitting around alot, but the added heat resistance can;t hurt) I've beat the living hell out of the brakes and never had them fade or the rotors warp.. I haven't found any other wheels that I particulaly like so I think I'm gonna stick with this for now...

You'll have to let us know how the 5 speed works on your car... Would love to have one in the Cougar but I'm not quite ready to spend the $$$ to get one that will hold together, and all the parts to go with.... Plus I finally got an AOD that won;t break and shifts to my liking...

I'm thinking I'm gonna attack the suspension next.. I pretty much have all stock stuff except the springs off a 93 5.0 T-bird (the 3.8 springs didn;t quite hold the 351 up so well) I haven;t decided what springs and strust I want to use yet, but I definitely would like to swap all the rubber bushings for neoprene and get some heavier sway bars...

The vintage 1989 audio system need to go one of these days too.. Darned exhaust is too loud to hear it..

Cougar94 03-27-2009 07:57 PM

It's not as much work as you would think everything is marked with dimples in the body. The mounts for the Clutch and the brake pedal assembly are already there just have to drill couple holes. As far as expense it's not to bad so far have a total of $1000 in car, most everything I made custom. Intake and Exhaust, Port and polished throtle body myself stole off a mustang at a local wrecking yard. Most money went into brakes and rotors. Had the speed just wouldn't stop. Plan to go all the way looking to push about 500hp in time. Just using what I have to get by. Stole tranny off a 84 5.0, got it for $250. All my super coupe conversion parts came from SuperCoupePerformance.com. They have basically everything you would need to build swap at a decent price. Most money cost was shipping being they aren't local. Will keep you posted on 5 Speed conversion tryin to get at it asap but to many projects goin at one time. Hoping to post pictures here soon. Did all Body work and paint prep just waitin for final coat to post pictures. Decided to go with a flat black. Referring to a post earlier on injectors do you know how high you could go without tuning ECU? Would love to get more fuel seeing as I'm upgrading cams. Also as far as a speed limiter wouldn't just be a simple bypass anyway. hard to believe that it is 100% controlled by ECU, figure it would have some type of relay wouldn't it. Not That I'm worried being as it doesn't concern me just wondering. As Far as the driveshaft hadn't had to many problems but do go through U-Joints like a SOB. What would cause this being as the driveshaft seems fine. as far as angle and strength it seems to be just right.