Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Cougar (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/)
-   -   My battery wont charge. It has a new alternator and 1 wire regulator. (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/my-battery-wont-charge-has-new-alternator-1-wire-regulator-3445/)

Gerald99cougar 10-07-2009 11:53 PM

My battery wont charge. It has a new alternator and 1 wire regulator.

The battery in my cougar quit getting charge. I thought it was a simple problem. Obviously an alternator problem right? Well as it turns out, this is a major problem. With a new alternator it should have been fixed but its not. I have retraced the wiring and there didnt seem 2 be a problem with it. Then I put on a 1 wire regulator. This should bypass all wiring problems and send juice from the alternator straight 2 the battery but its not. I was told by a man at Advance auto parts they dont make a Hanes Manual for this car. I am out of ideas and would appreciate any suggestions.

slymer 10-08-2009 07:56 AM

is the battery good? Might want to have that tested.
also, if the wires are not tight on the battery, it won't charge either.
Another reason is if any new accessories (stereo system, thumpers in the trunk, etc) draw more power than the alternator can produce, it'll drain the battery as well.

Gerald99cougar 10-08-2009 08:54 AM

Yea all that has been checked. The battery is new. There isnt anything extra put on the car as far as accessories. All of that I took off. I do appreciate the suggestion. I have changed and checked about everything.

slymer 10-08-2009 09:48 PM

you might double check the connectors on the alternator. if any of them got bent outta shape when putting everything back on, it may not be making good contact for charging. You might also want to take the wires off that go from the alternator to the battery and do a continuity check (should read zero ohms - or very close to it - on a multimeter or beep on continuity/diode). If one of the wires got messed somewhere along the line or just managed to fray... it would do the same thing.

kwolfeman91 10-09-2009 10:57 AM

your terminals on your wire might be bad the might be corroded or the wires might need to be stripped back some and new terminals put on them..

D.Aroke 10-30-2009 05:33 AM

My battery wont charge It has a new alternator and 1 wire regulator

Hi,

I have got a PC with 4 CPUs, each 1 GB memory. Does this provide any additional performance for standard Eclipse, if you do not have the parallel eclipse license?

slymer 10-30-2009 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by D.Aroke (Post 11779)
Hi,

I have got a PC with 4 CPUs, each 1 GB memory. Does this provide any additional performance for standard Eclipse, if you do not have the parallel eclipse license?

why not try a forum for computers instead of vehicles. you might have better luck.

adm dude 02-18-2014 08:25 AM

mine was acting dead too... it was the connectors on the battery that were bad... bought some new ones and it works

conan312 02-22-2014 09:05 PM

Are you sure your new (rebuilt) alt. is charging? If not, bring it back and make sure it's charging and regulating.