Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Cougar (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/)
-   -   Power Steering pump flush (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/cougar-18/power-steering-pump-flush-2823/)

ClintsCougar 03-20-2009 03:00 PM

Power Steering pump flush

On my 97, the steering is hard when cold.. Was thinking on changing out fluid (dirty) and using Mobil 1 syn. (mercon atf).. What's the best way to flush the system..?

slymer 03-20-2009 10:34 PM

the best way would be to have plenty on hand and disconnect the return tube and have it pump into a bucket (waste bin, etc). have someone turn the car on and pour fresh fluid in until the stuff coming out is clear. Then turn the car off, reconnect the return line and top it off.

I would suggest using power steering fluid though and maybe putting a filter inline with the return line (with the flow in the right direction of course) as that would probably be better for the system than using a fluid that the system wasn't designed to use. Of course, that's up to you. If the fluid you're adding is not clear, then of course you want to see whatever color it is coming out of the return line during the flushing process. you may need a gallon or 2 for the entire flush depending on how dirty the system is. and yes, you flush with the new fluid. There might be some power steering flush concoctions at the parts store, but I've never heard of anyone using them.

I'm sure if someone else here has any better ideas, they'll post them.

conan312 03-20-2009 11:49 PM

When it is cold out the oil tends to thicken up and thus is a little slower to pump through the system which is why you are experiencing stiffness. As it warms, the fluid thins out and its viscosity returns to normal and the steering loosens up. I would flush it like Slymer said but watch out for the high pressure, yes, even on the return hose when you start the engine. GUSH!!!

ClintsCougar 03-21-2009 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by slymer (Post 9146)
the best way would be to have plenty on hand and disconnect the return tube and have it pump into a bucket (waste bin, etc). have someone turn the car on and pour fresh fluid in until the stuff coming out is clear. Then turn the car off, reconnect the return line and top it off.

I would suggest using power steering fluid though and maybe putting a filter inline with the return line (with the flow in the right direction of course) as that would probably be better for the system than using a fluid that the system wasn't designed to use. Of course, that's up to you. If the fluid you're adding is not clear, then of course you want to see whatever color it is coming out of the return line during the flushing process. you may need a gallon or 2 for the entire flush depending on how dirty the system is. and yes, you flush with the new fluid. There might be some power steering flush concoctions at the parts store, but I've never heard of anyone using them.

I'm sure if someone else here has any better ideas, they'll post them.

Power steering fluid? The owner's manual says to use mecron atf. There's 2 hoses toward the front of the reservoir.. Would you know which one is the return line? (right or left ?)

conan312 03-21-2009 02:48 PM

One is a sending line (very high pressure, and expensive) should look abit different than the return line (much less pressure and much cheaper to replace). Big reinforced, crimped metal ends, etc. I don't know right or left without seeing. Hopefully you will be able to tell. Hey, if you unhook the return line from the pump make sure and cap the pump inlet. The manual is correct. Alot of cars use trans fluid as p.s. fluid.

slymer 03-21-2009 11:11 PM

yeah... I forgot that... the manual for my MGM says any type F fluid (ATF, Power Steering Fluid, etc).

I need to replace the pump on mine. it has a leak out the high pressure line before the hose fitting.

ClintsCougar 03-24-2009 11:42 PM

Thanks to ya all for the info.. I got her flushed and it working alot better..