Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/)
-   -   2000 Mercury Mystique problems again! (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/2000-mercury-mystique-problems-again-345/)

Melissa B. 11-21-2005 12:40 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me or has had the same problems with their Mercury Mystique.

At first my car began to hesitate upon acceleration, and began to die continuosly upon reaching a quarter tank of gas. I changed the fuel filter and this seemed to solve this problem for now, so I thought.

Then my check engine light came on, and once it was put on diagnostics, the code came up that it was the Air temperature control sensor. Replaced that Saturday.

Now, upon driving to work this morning, my check engine light came on agian, and when I looked down at my gauges, my gas guage shot down from a full tank of gas to a 1/2 tank of gas in a matter of seconds. I pulled over at the gas station and shut off the car, just in case my gas was leaking out. When I looked under the car, it wasn't leaking anything, and when I opened the hood, everything appeared to be fine. The car wasn't overheating or anything. I decided to continue to drive to work, and I noticed everytime I accelerated, my gas gauge would move down again, but when I braked it would go back to a full tank of gas. Does anyone know what could be causing my car to be having all of these problems? Could if possibly be my computer, or the fuel pump? I am taking my car to get it put back on diagnostics after work today, if my car makes it! I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this.

Thanks!

Patrick 11-21-2005 04:45 PM

get it somewhere with a scanner, like a parts store, and have them pull the codes.

Lenny 11-22-2005 10:55 AM

i-4 or v-6? (or) 2.0 or 2.5 liter engine?

Melissa B. 11-22-2005 12:09 PM

My car is a four cylinder. Today when I drove it to work, my gas gauge has done the same, but now it smells like it is overheating. When it was put on a scanner yesterday, they said it was one of the coolant sensors. My temperature gauge hasn't worked since I bought the car. Could it possibly be from overfiling the overflow tank with to much anti-freeze? My fiance put anti-freeze and powersteering fluid in my car Sunday.

Sammy 02-25-2006 09:28 PM

I believe there is a recall on the fuel pump of your car. They were having problems with contamination of the pump. That would cause the hesitation and the stalling below a quarter of a tank. Actually those were the exact symptoms they described for vehicles affected by the recall. I had to have it done on my 2000 Cougar. As for the gas guage, I'm not so sure that's part of the same problem. You could try some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank or it could be a faulty sensor or guage.

Hope this helps!

Melissa B. 03-13-2006 09:18 PM

Hello Again!

Well, I checked and there are no recalls on my fuel pump. Also, my gas gauge still continues to do the same, but my car is running fine. My fiance changed my fuel filter again just to make sure it was clean, and the gas was clear as ever. He noticed though that there is some sort of wire-possibly a ground wire that hooks to the fuel filter? Could this be what is causing my gas gauge to go crazy if it is not grounded properly? Also, is there another sensor besides the fuel sending unit in or around my fuel pump? I got a book but it really doesn't explain or show to much. Any input will help. Thanks!