Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/)
-   -   2003 grand marquis shocks/struts/tires (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-12/2003-grand-marquis-shocks-struts-tires-3296/)

crazycraig68 09-22-2009 04:51 PM

2003 grand marquis shocks/struts/tires

Hey y'all!

Here I am again. I just put a nice set of goodyear assurance comfort tread tires on the ole car today and man o man, is the ride fabulous. the other tires that were on the car were cracked and cupped so bad, it sounded like you were driving a 70 truck with mud tires. :) anyway, they checked the allignment and it was dead on perfect. I watched and had seen the report. My confusion is, if the tires were cupped so bad they were noisy, and the allignment was perfect, does that automaticly mean the struts and the rear shocks are shot? The car only has 65k miles and I was just thinking maybe the old lady just never had the tires balanced or rotated. Goodyear wanted like 700+ to do all 4 shocks and struts. So, that is my first question as to if those items really could be shot at the mileage my car has.

the second question I have is, on the door, tere is a label that says the tires should have 35psi in the back and 32 in the front. What is your take on this? I checked them when I got home and 3 have almost 35 and one front one has 32. Just want to keep the new tires in perfect shape.

Thanks in advance y'all.

Craig in Georgia:confused:

kwolfeman91 09-22-2009 07:22 PM

i dont see why your struts would be shot if the car has only 63ooo miles on it... probably being the an older lady had it she probably babied it and had all the tires aligned and every thing... as far the tire pressure i dont know what to tell you...

slymer 09-23-2009 06:01 AM

I'm still running the original shocks on my 88 MGM. so I doubt that. If you hit a pothole and the car does more than a BUMP (if it shimmies much after the bump) then you need new shocks. the other contributors to that is the tire being out of balance. Everything on the car can be fine, but if the tire is out of balance, it can do all kinds of weird things to it. I'd run on the new tires and just keep an eye on them. run your hand over them every 3-5K miles and make sure they're not doing the same thing.

as for the tire pressure, if the tires are rated for over 100mph, you should go with the police pressure settings of 35psi all around. You definitely want to have the front tires matched and the rear tires matched to keep the car from pulling. I generally go with 35psi all around anyhow just because I tend to lean hard on turns and that helps prevent as much rounding of the shoulders of the tires with a little more pressure.

crazycraig68 09-23-2009 09:47 AM

Thanks slymer. I appreciate all your great advice. I put 35 in each tire this morning and will make sure they rotate and balance every 3k miles.