General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Air conditioning. Help! It’’s hot out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM

88 cougar, yesterday the AC decided to only half work. Cold air comes out of the vents in the dash but only out of those. Vacuum line broken? If so how can I fix it (something I can do myself?) or where would be the best place to have it fixed and is it pricey? Sheesh, fix one thing, another blows...

Shot struts too? Right front wheel, there''s a noise like tapping metal when I go through a right corner, if I take it at speed it''s like the steering wheel floats or wants to pull itself back. Sometimes it''s like there''s a vibration coming from the wheel.

I haven''t been driving it....

Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Have you checked your actuator door (behind the glove box)? Do you have the manual A/C Controls? Checked the lines behind the panel to make sure that they are moving freely? I had an 87 and ran into problems with that. Also, the struts were shot on mine as well- I replaced them with monroe struts. Go to http://www.rockauto.com, they have a full line of parts, very good prices, and they ship to you pretty fast. I''ve had very good luck with them on my 88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe.

For the A/C, start at the panel, work to the box behind the glove box. It can be removed by opening it, pushing in on both sides of the glovebox at the top and it will pull out of the dash and swing down. That should give you good access to it.

james

Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 AM

Also- on the affected wheel... jack up that side of the car and grab the wheel in both hands. Jiggle it back and forth. If there''s play in it you need to replace your wheel bearing. Easy job. Just PM me if you need help with that.

James

Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 AM

you got my vote.,. door actuator is probably the problem. But the other problem is a wheel bering and ball joint. thats why it only happens when you turn right. Repack the bearing and see if it fixes the problem before replacing it. a bad bearing will be bad all, the time not just turns. a low packed bearing will cause an extra load when turning and thus giving a noise.